Gelatinous Cube

Started by Germy, 17 October 2011, 08:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germy

When I get a chance I'll do a proper article on how I made it but thought I'd have a go at making a Gelatinous Cube  8)

I made it with my hot glue gun  :o
Made a square mould and simply filled it with glue. Did it in stages to let the glue dry and it took about 8 glue sticks. Cost probably £1.60.
It didn't set as clear as I would have liked but not bad for about 30 mins work!

Also made some slime monsters with the same hot glue gun.

Cheers

Germy

Blaker

Very cool ideas there Germy!!   :D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sixsideddice

Thats so cool Germy, I`d buy me one of those  :x

I made myself a Gelatinous Blob (which is now included in the DW rules), but it was very basic - but it worked fine for what I wanted.

Yours is really D&D-ish  :)

Love it.

Six.

Leon

I like those, especially the smaller ones.  I wonder how well one of the clear gel types would work, like the Vallejo one designed for rivers?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sixsideddice

Reason I went with Genatinoue Blob was.... well, would we be able to get away with calling it a Cube? I mean, its probably one of the most iconic D&D monster in the book?

Traditionally, the GC is meant to be see through/clear and pretty much fills the dimensions of what ever passage wherein it lurks and slithers - very cool `clean up crew`Monster indeed.

My Blob is a bit smaller, any colour the owner choses (I chose light blue or vibrant green for mine); but is obviously heavily based on the GC.

Germy`s  version of this `thing`really hits the spot, and I`d love to be able to add one to my games (too rare and powerful to use more than one at a time). The smaller ones would be great for babies; but the big Daddy would have to be THE one, because it simply wouldn`t be a GC otherwise.

Exciting addition.... you`ve created a... erm... monster here Germy  ;)

Six  :)

capthugeca

Love the little ones, Germy.

The big one does look a little strange having such square sides but not touching the walls. Like Six, I have always pictured them filling a passageway.
I wonder if there is a way of creating one possibly by lining a piece of passageway with some aluminium foil.

But good stuff.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Germy

Yeah, it should really be wall to wall. But as with all gaming I was looking at the practical side of having it occupy four dungeon squares so combat was easier.
You can buy clear resin to make them out of. Otherworld miniatures make one which is 4cm square Otherworld Cube

But this was just me not being able to put my hot glue gun down  :D

goat major

Thats fantastic!!! i havent played D&D for 20 years but this idea alone is making me reconsider!!!!

I'm already starting to think what can other uses hot glue can be put to (other than glueing of course because its rubbish at that!)
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

sixsideddice

QuoteBut as with all gaming I was looking at the practical side of having it occupy four dungeon squares so combat was easier.

I`m totally with you there Germy, and I don`t mind the dimensions at all....  I think what you have there is perfect as a 10mm skulpt :-)

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Germy on 17 October 2011, 08:40:05 PM
When I get a chance I'll do a proper article on how I made it

Um, from gelatine?    B)

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Germy

Hmmm an edible version ...  ;)

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Germy on 18 October 2011, 01:34:22 PM
Hmmm an edible version ...  ;)

Holy mackerel, Batman. It's ... da Yummy Cube!  :P

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 18 October 2011, 02:36:35 PM
Holy mackerel, Batman. It's ... da Yummy Cube!  :P

Cheers,
Aart

Surley "Holy Jello Batman....."
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Luddite

Excellent Germy!

Now then, shouldn't there be a few skulls, or the odd sword suspended in the cube?

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN