Recommend WSS books

Started by Last Hussar, 04 July 2011, 11:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

I'm looking for something easy to read - I enjoyed Charles Spencer's 'Blenheim', and I don't want to import some £50 book then translate it from the German.  I'm not looking for anything Scholarly, I just want background on pushing toy soldiers round the table.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

clibinarium

Chandler's The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough and/or Marlborough as Military Commander, and some primary sources (quoted from quite often by those who write about these battles; Military Memoirs of Marlborough's Campaigns, 1702-12 (Captain Parker and the Comte de Merode Westerloo, who fought on both sides)

maciek

Quote from: clibinarium on 05 July 2011, 01:36:31 AM
Chandler's The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough and/or Marlborough as Military Commander, and some primary sources (quoted from quite often by those who write about these battles; Military Memoirs of Marlborough's Campaigns, 1702-12 (Captain Parker and the Comte de Merode Westerloo, who fought on both sides)
Bear in mind that Chandlers books are a bit outdated (especially when concerning British 'platoon fire' and ability of French cavalry to charge with cold steel).
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Cheers. Anything a bit more 'Germanic' - I've got various sausage munchers (well Austro-Prussian)

GNU PTerry

Chad

I will send you a list tonight of all those I have for you to mull over.

Chad

Chad

Hussar

Here's my list:

The Anatomy of Glory - Brent Nosworthy
The Wars of Louis IXV - John Lynn
Chronicles of an Old Campaigner (de la Colonie) - Horsley
Marlborough's Battlefield - James Falkner
Marborough's Shadow (Cadogan) - Watson
Journal of all the Marches, Famous Battles and Sieges - J Millner
Good and Glorious Days - James Falkner
Blenheim - James Falkner
Blenheim-Osprey
Oudenarde - Christpher Scott
Ramillies - Neil Litton
Ramillies-Year of Miracles - James Falkner
Malplaquet - Christopher Scott
Malplaquet - Major A H Burne
The battle of Malplaquet - Maurice Sautai
Poltava - Peter Englund

Hope this is of use.

Chad

cameronian

Don't forget the late Prof Holmes 'Marlborough'. Also Christopher Duffy's numerous contributions (v good esp Austrian)
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Chad

Cam

Agreed. Forgot Professor Holmes book.

Chad

goat major

another vote for Chandlers 'Art of Warfare.....' Addresses the sort of issues that a gamer would be interested in rather than just the pure history. I know you didnt want scholarly but the Pike and Shot society do a series of incredibly detailed books (uniforms, battle orders etc) for the major armies of the period. I think you can get them from their website as a non member
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry