Armoured ogres

Started by Dunnadd, 09 June 2011, 05:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnadd

How about some armoured and armed ogres (for the fantasy range), about the same size as the minotaurs, looking roughly like large heavily muscled men, but with slightly bestial faces and fangs/tusks?

Arsenus

The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Leon

Are the trolls any use?  You could add some tusks and armour fairly easily?

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Fantasy-c21/Trolls-sc169/

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Arsenus

This trolls are cool! I will use them for my Sand Orc Army! But One of my dream is to re-created LOTR battle. The armoured Troll will aid me.^^
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

fred.

09 June 2011, 06:50:12 PM #4 Last Edit: 09 June 2011, 07:57:28 PM by Leon
There is the troll leader

He looks more like an Ogre to me
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Wow! super giant picture....
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: fred12df on 09 June 2011, 06:51:23 PM
Wow! super giant picture....

Haha, I've shrunk it down a bit with a "width=200" tag.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dunnadd

The trolls just aren't very good figures.  :( They look like cartoons. I think you could do a lot better.

Leon

Quote from: Dunnadd on 10 June 2011, 01:17:38 AM
The trolls just aren't very good figures.  :( They look like cartoons. I think you could do a lot better.

:'(

I quite like them...

:P

Dunnadd

10 June 2011, 09:47:31 PM #9 Last Edit: 10 June 2011, 09:49:36 PM by Dunnadd
you've got a huge range of figures at low prices and i really like the imaginative designs of some of your figures (e.g goblin-wolf centaurs), but to be honest i mostly prefer Eureka's 10mm line and Games Workshop's Warmaster and Battle of the Five armies fantasy ranges (even if both are more expensive and Games Workshop's prices rise at way above the rate of inflation).

Pendraken 10mm goblins and dark elves and centaurs and wood elves are decent figures and can be used with other 10 - 12mm figs without looking like a different scale. Most of the rest of the 10mm fantasy - Orcs and trolls and minotaurs, hobgoblins, fishmen and dwarves, i'm not too keen on - too big to use with most other figures - (pretty much 15mm scale with the exception of minotaurs as they're meant to be big), too cartoon-style, outsize hands weapons and heads. Making fishmen just a fish carrying a trident - well - maybe meant to be funny? I prefer more serious looking figures.

Leon

The Trolls and Minotaurs I'd expect to be bigger, but I know what you mean with some of the others.  The Ratmen are quite big, but then how big is a Fantasy rat?  They can be used in the 15 and 20mm games easily though.  The Fishmen are completely random, I'm not sure what the designer was on that particular day!

With the Dwarves, the original ones from when we started are a bit bigger than some people like, but the Hill Dwarves are a very nice alternative, and I prefer the look of them.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Leon on 10 June 2011, 10:02:59 PM
The Ratmen are quite big, but then how big is a Fantasy rat? 

Ask 'The Princess Bride' - R.O.U.S.

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

So that is a giant rat of Sumatra, dont tell Watson.....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Nico

I like the idea. I think I'll sculpt a bunch and make them fit the dungeon range, i.e. put them on 15² bases. For fun at least. Maybe a handful, with axe, mace, club, cleaver, cleave-axe; wearing leather and hide armor, shoulder plates and shields occasionally.

Cheers

Sandinista

Quote from: Dunnadd on 10 June 2011, 01:17:38 AM
I think they are cool, was thinking of buying some at SELWG