Techno's WIP pics of 'Jim'!

Started by Leon, 15 May 2011, 02:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnadd

Really great modelling and like the design too - will make a great chaos mutant. The only bit i'm not keen on is the hair - would prefer either a full mane or none. Is this a competition entry by an amateur or a preview of a figure by a Pendraken modeller?

Techno

Hi Dunnadd.

You're quite right about the current 'mane'.....Looks rather 'waffy'....
No.....I'm not entering this in the comp....It's supposed to be a 'stage by stage, how to', to hopefully give people a bit of a helping hand.

If Leon and Dave want it when it's finally finished, they can have it as a dungeon 'beastie'.....The trouble I'm having, is finding time to do this, while I work on other wee soldiers....So it's a little more rushed than I would have liked.  ;)....Which is why the whole head's 'gotta go'....I'll finish it eventually !!  ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Oh dear.....
'Jim's' completely quiffless now.
Cheers - Phil.

Leon

Phil's latest update on Jim:

Oh dear......Shows the head 're-done' and his sword soldered into position.......As Homer Simpson would say..."Doh !! It just gets worse and worse !"
More major surgery to come methinks !.....Head looks WAY too big !...PANTS !!!!

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Well...

Since I sent Leon the pic....Jim has had a 'headechtomy' (sic)....and transplant...He thanks all his friends for their get well cards...flowers..grapes etc...
But would prefer everyone to know that his best prezzies have been the lumps of rotting flesh he's received...He's been scrumming those down !!

The bandages will be off very soon...and his new visage will be available for all to see...

He still looks **** as far as I'm concerned...But don't tell Jim that !

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Is his old head to become scenic detail on his base?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Hmmmm...Maybe ....It could do, perhaps.... To me, the old head looks like a cross between a wild boar and some VERY unspecified doggy, which is why I hate it...Apart from the fact that it's got out of scale by oodles.

Or...I'll just save it for something else at a later date....(Which is where Jim's new head....as yet unseen, has come from.... ;D ;D ;D)...I never throw anything away...Finding something is another matter though !!!

Cheers - Phil.

PS.... As the 'hyena's' mane's gone now....'Jim' may end up with spiky things on his back. - P

Leon

....The headectomy and transplant:

.....Plastic surgery on the face and arm/hand:

Still work to do....The lower jaw looks 'very iffy'....."Nurse...The screens !"

Dr Phil.....Oh no...Surgeons are Misters aren't they ?....In that case.... Mr Phil.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Thanks again for putting those up for me Leon.

Just to confirm....The head is something that I had sitting in a 'bits box'....But it seemed to be far better scale wise....although it needed a bit of work done on it ;)

There's a bit of work to clean up the shoulder pad where yours truly hacked the original head off....Also I want to neaten up the lower jaw....But I feel that I'm starting to get somewhere now.....Fairly close to finishing.....I HOPE !!

The temptation is.... to be far too much of a smart arse with the sword, and put pretty little circular notches in it....Nah !!!...It'll probably break and I'll have a hissy fit!

Just for your information... The 'blue stuff' forming the sword is Sylmasta A+B...(Obviously the blue version)...This is a putty not dissimilar to Milliput and useful for 'straight line' work.
I tend to use different colours of this particular putty to stick dollies to corks when I'm doing  different ranges of models....And I don't want to put the wrong type of weapons on the wrong type of models....If that makes sense ???...I hope it does !! ;D

Cheers - Phil.

nikharwood

Interesting...nice new head - but...[ducks for cover] now I don't like the tentacle arm...I'd like him better with a 'normal' arm beckoning on the next opponent  :-S

Techno

Just for you Nik..Once he's completely finished I'll take the tentacle off and give him an arm....Or maybe a crab claw ??
Might wait to see whether Leon wants to mould him up first, and then convert him.... Have to admit I'm not over happy with the way the  tentacle 'works' myself.
That'lll give the opportunity for some different shots/techniques perhaps ?

INCOMING !!! ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Sinister Jester

The new head looks much better!

Techno

Thanks Jester....

I'm MUCH happier with the new one...The more I look at the old head...The more stunningly awful it becomes !!!

Cheers - Phil.

Squirrel

Phil, I think you are being a bit hard on yourself over the old head - I'd be chuffed if I could do it! That said, the new head is even better - size wise as well.

I'm uncertain about the tentacle .... it looks good, but an arm might look better ........ sounds like two casts needed :D

Cheers,

Kev