Techno's WIP pics of 'Jim'!

Started by Leon, 15 May 2011, 02:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 18 May 2011, 06:55:44 PM
Couple shapers ?....shome mishtake shurley....hic !

Haha, I had one of those moments where my head was thinking one word and my hands were typing another... happens quite regularly in emails as well!

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Don't you worry Leon !
Wait 'til you get to my age... ;D ;D ;D

Sometimes I can't remember why I mucked up the scale on the first figures I ever made for anyone...
Some Chinese chappie.....Name something like Ying Zhang....Wanted loads of soldiers made.

He ended up burying the whole lot....Wasn't MY fault...I blame the interpreters...I couldn't understand ancient Chinese.

And the 'putty' you had to use in those days.... More like Terracotta clay...
Bl**dy rubbish, compared to now....At least I managed to get away before he threw a wobbly and took my head off !!

Cheers - Phil

Leon

Some more WIP pics of 'Jim'!

A little more detail....Start roughing out the head properly...Still loads to do here, including corrections....Get out that Swann Morton !

Finish tentacle......OOOPS !! That'a looking oversized...maybe it'll work once a shoulder pad is put on....Hmmmm.... I have my doubts.

Start right arm.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Squirrel

Wow, that really is amazing work :o I think the tentacle arm will be ok if you have a fairly large shoulder pad in mind.

Cheers,

Kev

Techno

Thanks Kev.

I think it will have to be a biggish pad on the tentacle arm.. ;D ;D

About the only thing of relevance that's missing on the comments is the wire used for the 'arms'
For the tentacle I've used brass 'braid'. I take single strands of brass from the fine brass 'rope' that gets sold in packs for hanging photo's/pictures on a wall.
The right arm is made from point 5 mm brass rod.
I haven't quite decided yet  whether I'll simply bend the rod at the bottom to make his sword....or cut the arm around the wrist/hand and then solder another piece on to the 'hand to make the weapon.
It'll probably end up being the second option...But we'll see.

Cheers - Phil. (and thanks again to Leon for putting these up for me !)

nikharwood

I've said it before - and I'll say it again: these are really useful Phil for understanding & following the process - nicely done  8)

Techno

Cheers Nik.

That was the basic idea behind this thread....So I'm very pleased you're finding it useful.

Phil.

Leon

.....Carry on with head....Start shoulder pad....allow to dry, and the drill tiny holes for the 'rivets'

......Put rivets on big shoulder pad.....Do other shoulder pad...chain mail 'short sleeve'

capthugeca

Progressing good, Techno.
I keep on having to remind myself that it isn't much bigger than 10mm.
Do you use any vision enhancer?
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Arsenus

Quote from: capthugeca on 06 June 2011, 06:57:39 PM
Progressing good, Techno.
I keep on having to remind myself that it isn't much bigger than 10mm.
Do you use any vision enhancer?

What?!?! It IS 10mm???

Noooooooo!!

Amazing work!

Same question...^^
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Techno

Hi Capthugeca.

Yes.....I do use the lowest powered 'optivisor'......Not really for the magnification, which is only one and a half times, but so I can close focus on the little chaps.
I' reached 'that stage' in life a few years ago where I really needed bi-focal glasses and the optivisor was a much cheaper compromise. (For me, at least.)

I did try using the 5X mag lenses once....in the belief that they'd help even more. But there's such an incredibly shallow depth of field on those, that I ended up with a belter of a headache, as 95% of what i was trying to sculpt on was a horrid blur.....very disturbing.

Not too displeased with it now....But the head......YUK !......Plastic surgery time ! ;D ;D ;D ;D.

If it helps....No, no, no Arsenus...It's not 10mm...(There should be a comparison shot of 'Jim' and a proper 10mm figure right at the start of the thread)....To the top of the head (excluding the current mane and ears) ....He's 18mm near as dammit.

Cheers - Phil.

capthugeca

Quote from: Techno on 06 June 2011, 08:02:04 PM
Yes.....I do use the lowest powered 'optivisor'......Not really for the magnification, which is only one and a half times, but so I can close focus on the little chaps.
I' reached 'that stage' in life a few years ago where I really needed bi-focal glasses and the optivisor was a much cheaper compromise. (For me, at least.)

Yes, I've reached 'that stage' too.  :-B
Varifocals for me but they're a ruddy nuisance for painting and sculpting so I take them off and squint

I might give an optivisor a go.

Cheers

Hugh

Germy

Quote from: capthugeca on 06 June 2011, 11:11:42 PM
so I take them off and squint
Hugh
Ah someone else using that tried and tested technique  ;)

capthugeca

Quote from: Germy on 07 June 2011, 08:04:46 AM
Ah someone else using that tried and tested technique  ;)

Yes, but my wife warns me that one day I'm going to get stuck like that!  :o

Techno

Hah !....You two are lucky....I can't focus both eyes on the same thing if I take my glasses off ! (VERY short sighted... :'( :'( :'()

But with the optivisor flipped over my normal 'distance' specs, I can see perfectly well.
Not sure how well your vari focals would work with the optivisor Hugh, but I'm guessing you're intending to use them with the naked eye....That should be fine...I'd be very surprised if you didn't think they worked really well.

Cheers - Phil.