BUAs, visibility and saves

Started by NeilC, 17 March 2024, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilC

Hi everyone,

I play BKC in 10mm and have recently had a run of games at my Wargames club, with more planned.

I'm curious about how people play the following:

When using templated built up areas do you consider infantry (average profile unless dug in) to be visible at 10cm?

Secondly - the question of saves. It seems fairly straightforward that it's a six to hit in a BUA, but when it comes to saves are people assuming that troops are in a stone/concrete building (save on a 4,5,6), in a brick building (save on a 6) or even potentially a wooden building (no save), or is this something which may be more of a 20mm scale plus thing?

Big Insect

QuoteHi everyone,

I play BKC in 10mm and have recently had a run of games at my Wargames club, with more planned.

I'm curious about how people play the following:

When using templated built up areas do you consider infantry (average profile unless dug in) to be visible at 10cm?

Secondly - the question of saves. It seems fairly straightforward that it's a six to hit in a BUA, but when it comes to saves are people assuming that troops are in a stone/concrete building (save on a 4,5,6), in a brick building (save on a 6) or even potentially a wooden building (no save), or is this something which may be more of a 20mm scale plus thing?

With regards to the 1st question Infantry in a BUA should only be visible at 5cm into the BUA. Although they are broadly classified as 'Average' profile, this is a game-mechanism to stop them being virtually un-hittable in the Open (had they been classified as Low profile). It is being picked up in the up & coming Errata release.

2nd Question - the different BUA/Building Types were primarily designed for play at the larger scales and usually individual buildings. For templated BUAs it is best to use the 'hit on a 6' mechanism, especially at 15/10/6mm scales.

To some extent building type does depend upon the type of building and is hugely subjective. For example: a log cabin in Finland/Russia will most definitely offer its occupants more protection than a bamboo & rattan house in Burma - for example. Similarly - a shanty-town in Africa (more applicable to CWC than BKC admittedly) will be much more difficult to spot troops in, than (say) an urban suburb of Paris. But for simplicity the 'hit on a 6' rule/mechanism and visible within 5cms, generally works well enough. 

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

NeilC

Thanks for the quick reply Mark - all that makes total sense and will really help with the upcoming games at the club

dylan

Sorry, but can I double-check what the save is when using the "hit on a six" system for templated BUA?

Big Insect

QuoteSorry, but can I double-check what the save is when using the "hit on a six" system for templated BUA?

Bottom of Page38 - (table) Hard or full cover Score Needed to Hit = 6.
NB: a templated BUA = hard cover

Top of Page39 -
Above the table it states that: 'If the target unit has a Save value ...' 'One hit is removed for each score equal to or greater than the Save value of the unit ...'

Under the table it states that: Notes: if choosing not to play the variability of building construction, deduct 2d6 for each unit shooting at units in a BUA'

What is missing here is:  'Units are hit on a score of 6 only' - although it does state that on bottom of Page 38.

NB: 'variability of building construction' = templated BUAs = hard cover = hit on a 6

So Saves depends upon what the target units are. If you are an AFV with a save of 4, you save on 4/5/6 but your opponent will be deducting 2 shooting dice for each weapon shooting at the target.

If they are INF: units they have no Saves, but again the shooter will be deducting 2d6 from each unit shooting (reducing the opportunity to hit). 

Hope that clarifies things.
Cheers
Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.