Just what color is Feuille Morte?

Started by Terry37, 09 November 2022, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

The color Feuille Morte is a fairly common color in the 17th and early 18th century, and has always been one that I struggled with trying to determine exactly what the correct color was. I have a Danish reference that shows it as a bright yellow-ochre, and there is a French figure in the osprey MAA 203 "Louis XIV's Army", plate C figure 2 which shows a more brownish-orange. I have looked on line and studied more than a few pictures with this being the best results.

However, I was trying to understand why such a wide variety of color choices for Feuille Morte? But there is one great opportunity for studying this subject - it is late fall and the leaves on the tree in our front yard was well underway of the leaves changing color and dropping for the winter. So, I got my camera, my paint chips and went outside to gather leaves and just see what paints best matched. I use the Methuen method of matching colors, so I gathered what I found were the three basic colors of leaves. After first taking a picture of the leaves on the tree, I then gathered three primary examples and after matching possible paint choices, here is what I came up with.

Apple Barrel Golden Brown 20524

FolkArt Yellow Ochre 917

CreamCoat  Autumn Brown 02055

The bottom line is that there are several choices for representing this color, depending upon which color you prefer to use. And, for me I feel I now have a better understanding of what painted to use for the color Feuille Morte. I hope others of you who may have struggled with this color mind also find this little exercise of help.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Big Insect

You are right that there are a number of options:

Once source describes it as: "yellowish-brown color - in French, the term literally means "dead leaf." In English, feuille morte refers specifically to a brownish-orange or yellowish-brown colour".

Another as: "the colour of withered leaves in autumn, e.g. "dead-leaf". Scumbled ochre-brown & russet, fox-red and mustard"

The common theme seems to come out as: dull yellowish or orangish brown.

But I suspect that like a lot of naturally died colours it was probably not that 'fast' and so faded and bleached quite quickly - especially in a campaign setting.

Not sure if that is much help.
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.