Favourite Curry

Started by Heedless Horseman, 18 August 2022, 06:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Personally, MY favourite was 'Homepride' Curry Sauce with home cooked Chicken Breast and Long grain rice... but, that ain't going to happen any more... home cooking has gone for me.
I like 'ready meal' Chicken Tikka Masala or Jalfrezi... but not keen on others. Supermarket versions vary. Did not care for Supermarket Thai or Chinese curries.
I don't 'eat out' or get 'Take Aways'... but will have to.
Thoughts?
I like Chicken, rather than Beef or Prawn. Will have to try Prawn... but have not, yet.
Something 'might' appetise?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You could try stiring in some curry powder into supermarket ready meals...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Buy Daramjit Singh's "Indian Cookery" (Penguin). You'll not only have fun cooking some of the recipes, you'll walk away with greatly enhanced understanding and enjoyment of the food.

There is, in fact, only one Thai curry, the Gaeng Massaman. The other dishes on Thai menus, while frequently delicious, are nothing like curries; they've been stuck with the label by foreigners who believe anything fiery and Asian is a curry. It's not. Roghan ghosht is a korma, not a curry; Hungarian goulasch, on the other hand, can be pretty reasonably called a curry (but for the sour cream garnish, admittedly).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 August 2022, 09:44:33 AMBuy Daramjit Singh's "Indian Cookery" (Penguin).
I'll second that, my copy is over 40 years old and falling to pieces.  Murghi Khasa is my favourite. I can prepare it from memory now.  I have several other books on Indian cuisine but I keep returning to it.
I don't think there is anything you can buy from a supermarket in a jar that is the same as the genuine article.     

Ithoriel

Cooking for one, the days of creating curries from basic ingredients are far behind me. Too much trouble to make just for me.

Like all the top chefs I have sous chefs to prepare my vegetables and sauces and merely blend these to create the final effect. They are Mr Tesco and Mr Sainsbury.

Stir fries, on the other hand, are slightly more hands on.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

We love a curry in our house and we've been doing a lot of experimenting with new ones recently.  We've been trying some of these 'recipe box' food delivery services, like Hello Fresh and Gousto, and they're actually really good.  There's been all kinds of curry recipes that we've not had before, Thai, Malaysian, Vietnamese, etc. that have been fantastic.  Some of the cooking methods are very different too which has been interesting.

The only downside to them is the cost, so we're only getting them when there's a discount offer available to make them a bit more reasonably priced. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

May I suggest the Aldi curry sauces. There is a cap with flavour powder in.

Fry chicken.
Add powdered whatever it is.
Fry a bit more,
Pour on sauce and cook on low heat while rice does.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

mmcv

QuoteCooking for one, the days of creating curries from basic ingredients are far behind me. Too much trouble to make just for me.
If you have a freezer you could cook up multiple portions and freeze them for a homemade ready meal. Or make a base sauce with some core flavours and freeze in those big ice cube trays, then add it to whatever you have in the fridge and a tin of coconut milk, tomato or stock for a quick meal. 

FierceKitty

Quote from: John Cook on 18 August 2022, 06:15:33 PMI'll second that, my copy is over 40 years old and falling to pieces.  Murghi Khasa is my favourite. I can prepare it from memory now.  I have several other books on Indian cuisine but I keep returning to it.
I don't think there is anything you can buy from a supermarket in a jar that is the same as the genuine article.     

Have you read Meera Taneja's books? They're far simpler, but she knows what she's doing in the kitchen. I rather like her Indian Regional Cookery.

Raider4

QuoteCooking for one, the days of creating curries from basic ingredients are far behind me. Too much trouble to make just for me.
If you are interested, then I recommend the 'One Pound Meal' books by Miguel Barclay. Simple recipes, single servings. Very good indeed.

sunjester

Sadly, what some of my estemed collegues are describing as "meals" are simply NOT a curry! ;)

Orcs

19 August 2022, 10:26:46 AM #11 Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 10:37:00 AM by Orcs
I spent a year of my apprenticeship being tutored by a lovely muslim Indian man who came over in WW2 to wire up spitfires. He considered that teaching me about proper Indian food and taking me to various "restaurants" in the east end of end London,(most seemed to be either in someone's Kitchen or front room) was more important than what I was actually being paid to learn.

Since then I have found that while I enjoy going out for a curry or getting a take away, most are only passable. They are essentially "Anglicized" junk food. Chicken Tikka Masala being the lowest of the low.

The food is called the wrong thing. The deep fried Onion Bhajee is actually a Bhajia, as Bharjee means curry. Not a deep fried snack.

The spiciness rating where Korma is mild and a Vindaloo hot is also rubbish.  You can have a Korma that is so hot it will make you sweat and a Vindaloo that merely tickles your palate. Its the style of cooking not the heat.

Rice is often eaten at the end of a meal before the desert to fill you up if the proper food has not.

Give me proper authentic Indian food  Kachori's, nankhatai, Bhajia's, Badarm Burfi, Ras Malai etc.

I am fortunate that we have just acquired a local Indian take away that does more authentic stuff as well as the stuff asked for by the masses

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

I spent five and a half  weeks in India on my first Asian holiday. I don't think I saw the word "curry" on a single menu!

Ithoriel

It's not that I don't cook, just that there are plenty of tasty veggie dishes that require much less effort to prepare. Soups, stews and casseroles are usually prepared so I can have one portion today, one tomorrow and two for the freezer.

Curries have never been a big favourite of mine. OK for a change though.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

We have the same issue here with "Chinese" takeaway food. Its all imported recipes that is totally un-authentic.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson