BKC IV latest version

Started by Matt1tibby, 09 August 2022, 11:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt1tibby

As soon as the latest fully amended version of BKC IV was published I ordered it, and have now persuaded my group to give the rules another go. So I thought I'd better read them through again to reacquaint myself...

A couple of things have come up in the first few pages:

1. Dense terrain, page 11, talks about restricting movement and refers to the summary on page 13. But I can't find anywhere that shows what restrictions are imposed on movement. The summary doesn't actually say what the restrictions are and I can't find it anywhere else. What have I missed?

2. Looking at Page 18 and the sequence of play, in the end phase, it says 'Remove outstanding hits from all of the active players units on the table'. That's not what I remember, and differs from the QRS sheet.

I've checked back over the forum and this was picked up as a mistake in the first  4th edition and presumably should have been fixed for the latest reprint. I've checked and mine is definitely a 2022 edition!

I have to say after persisting through the problems with previous versions to find that there are still significant errors is disappointing and I wonder what else is still incorrect...

Shedman

Quote1. Dense terrain, page 11, talks about restricting movement and refers to the summary on page 13. But I can't find anywhere that shows what restrictions are imposed on movement. The summary doesn't actually say what the restrictions are and I can't find it anywhere else. What have I missed?

Dense terrain gives a -1 to the Command roll

See Command Modifiers on Page 22

Big Insect

Quote from: Matt1tibby on 09 August 2022, 11:45:12 PM2. Looking at Page 18 and the sequence of play, in the end phase, it says 'Remove outstanding hits from all of the active players units on the table'. That's not what I remember, and differs from the QRS sheet.

If you are playing the 'hits come off' version of the game, then all hits come off at the end of each game turn.
This was picked up in the Errata and corrected in the PDF version.
Printed copies may still be the old version, whilst stocks are running down.

As regards Errata - personally I don't know of a single set of wargames rules (over 50 years of playing) that don't have some sort of minor issues or errata. "To err is human".

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Matt1tibby

Thanks for the responses.

In respect of the dense terrain query I saw the reduction in command roll, but the rules say 'restricts or precludes movement' which is different, hence looking for an effect on movement itself. If its covered by the command reduction it should be clearer I'd suggest.

As for the errata and 'old stock'. In April this year I bought the 2022 reprint which was advertised as being fully updated. I and others in my group bought it on that basis, i.e. it was fully updated. It is different to the 2019 edition, but still contains many identified errors and isn't fully updated. That leaves me very disappointed as I now have two faulty sets, and I don't consider this many problems over this length of time as being 'minor issues'.

Big Insect

Good luck with playing the game

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

kustenjaeger

I don't think I even noticed the existence of a reprinting!

The discussion did make me dig out my copy of BKCIV which is the copyright 2019 version.

I see that the Wargames Vault file is last updated 4 March 2020, so presumably reflects the errata prior to that date and a reprint would not have any subsequent changes?

Edward

Leon

I'm not sure if there's been some confusion here, the current print run is the 1st reprint since we launched and contains all of the Errata identified and shown in the Errata pdf here: https://www.pendraken.co.uk/ekmps/shops/89204c/resources/Other/bkc-ivruleserratamar2020.pdf  We've not gone through and formalised any further errata since that point, so anything discussed on the Forum but not in that pdf won't be in the print version.

We'll need to do an updated Errata run at some point to include the more recent things raised.  I'm wary of having multiple different versions printed and in circulation and folks getting confused as to which one is correct.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Matt1tibby

Mark, thanks for the best wishes...

Leon, I am confused. The impression given to me (and others) was that the 2022 reprint was updated, I accept that there needs to be a line at which that becomes fixed. But the question I raised about removing hits Mark states was picked up in the errata. Its an 'old' error. But the 2022 edition is still wrong.

I've been gaming for long enough (also in excess of 50 years...) to understand about the process and the world of errors in which we live.

But there seems to be inconsistencies, e.g. in the 2020 errata doc it stats infantry are kept as low profile. But in the post previous to this: https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,21888.0.html
it says infantry normally count as average profile. When did that change?

This is not a gripe about Pendraken, which provide great products and have a, justifiably, unparalleled reputation for service. But my frustration at buying (again) a copy of the rules which continues to have identified errors.

Leon

Quote from: Matt1tibby on 11 August 2022, 11:44:50 PMLeon, I am confused. The impression given to me (and others) was that the 2022 reprint was updated, I accept that there needs to be a line at which that becomes fixed. But the question I raised about removing hits Mark states was picked up in the errata. Its an 'old' error. But the 2022 edition is still wrong.

Apologies if that impression has been given somewhere, I've tried to state in any discussions/queries that the new print run had only been updated to include everything in the 2020 Errata document, so it won't have anything that's been discussed/tweaked beyond that point.  If I've not been clear on that anywhere then that's completely my fault.

Since that BKC errata was published we've spent all of our time working on CWC-2 so there hasn't been any 'official' updates for BKC since then.  We're probably due to go through all of the queries/threads and do another round of errata updates later this year but I want to get the Cold War army lists sorted first, along with any CWC-2 errata as well. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!