Best filler for terrain making?

Started by mmcv, 20 July 2022, 09:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

I tried with the tube of polyfilla I had and it worked better when mixed so think it was just the type of filler I had. Have ordered a box of powdered filler that I can mix to my own consistency so will try that. I've also a bag of flexible grout I might experiment with as a layer for toughness though it might shrink a bit.

I'm making hills for a battle of the Alma game, which is about 80% hills! I've been doing the standalone steep hills and peaks using two thick corrugated cardboard pieces cut so the corrugation goes perpendicular to each layer to give more strength then sticking it to a thin card base. So far the smaller ones I've just used straight filler on haven't warped. The only ones showing a bit of warping are the very large ones I used a bit of a mix of paint, glue and filler on, so may stick with plain filler base the PVA and paint layer over to reduce the moisture getting to the card. I've still the massive hills to do that cover half the table, not sure if I'm going to do those in card, polystyrene, or just cut out 2D hills in felt...  :-\

mmcv

Needed some DIY bits and bobs from Screwfix so added their filler onto the order too, be interesting to compare as it's dead cheap too.

Orcs

My filler was Wickes own brand that was so old it was £1 a box. (It was over 18 years old)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Got the cheap powdered one today, seems to have PVA premixed in so mixed it with a bit of water and paint and did a layer on the existing hills, will be interesting to see if it dries much firmer than the other one. Slopes are still a little too steep even for steep hills so may have to do a thicker batch to even them out a bit more before painting.

May take a break from hills after that and do some vineyards before the next batch of hills. Some experimenting to be done to see how to make them work in 2mm. I was thinking using carpet offcuts or clump foliage in small rows with some sort of grey walk round it but think they'll be too chunky at 2mm.