Size matters

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 27 June 2022, 03:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello all

Another strange request from myself, just wondering if anybody can tell me how the EL6 Sword and buckler compares in size and heft to the TB Line infantry figures?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

fred.

I'd have to check - but I'd say close. Most of the Pendraken infantry are similar to TB Line ones (cavalry is another thing).
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

I have the TB 195 (Islamic infantry with sword and spear) which are a very good match for the EL6 Sword and Buckler men.

Where I find some divergence between TB line and Pendraken is the size of their horses.
The mounts of the TB-190 light cavalry with bow are slightly longer, yet slimmer than those of the OT4 Ottoman Sipahi lancers.

Fred's post (above) might be implying this.

fred.

Thanks for checking Steve - I've not had chance today

I think there is probably a bit of variance in different horse sizes between Pendraken ranges - certainly some of the TB line ones are a fair bit bigger than PD ones - but if the ottoman ones are close to the Arab ones that is good 

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

QuoteThanks for checking Steve - I've not had chance today

I think there is probably a bit of variance in different horse sizes between Pendraken ranges - certainly some of the TB line ones are a fair bit bigger than PD ones - but if the ottoman ones are close to the Arab ones that is good
Let's face it, there is no "standard size" horse, through many armies attempted to standardise by the Horse and Musket period.

That's all very well if you're taking your stock from the Stud at the Curragh or various farms across Germany.
Far less practical when #1 mount crosses the rainbow bridge and you're reduced to haggling with local peasants for a remount.
Correct number of legs may be the best you can manage.

Posters more knowledgeable than I have cited historic accounts of cavalrymen on woefully mismatched remounts.
Also, something recently about a Russian dragoon regiment mounted on Steppe ponies.

fred.

Indeed - getting some variance would be nice. The problem with figures is more that each type you buy will be the same size (due to coming from the same pack, or a couple of closely related packs). Therefore variance is more between different units, and it certainly looks odd when your light cavalry are on much bigger mounts than your heavy knightly cavalry.

My overall experience is 10mm foot mixes pretty well across ranges. Cavalry rather less so.  

GrumpyOldMan

Hello fred and sh-11

Thanks for your replies, happy now I can mix EL6 with TB Line foot for a fantasy Corsair heavy unit  :) .

Yes the size discrepancy of horses rankles my OCD.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Rhys

QuoteWhere I find some divergence between TB line and Pendraken is the size of their horses.
The mounts of the TB-190 light cavalry with bow are slightly longer, yet slimmer than those of the OT4 Ottoman Sipahi lancers.

Fred's post (above) might be implying this.
I've just had a look at mine. To my eye the horses of TB190 are substantially larger than OT4 and OT5 to the point where I didn't feel that I could use them in the same army.
However the infantry is fine and I'm happily mixing and matching them for variety.
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.