Cold War US and Soviets!

Started by Leon, 26 June 2022, 11:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Our expansion through the post-war and Cold War era continues with the 1970's/1980's US and Soviet sculpts arriving this past week!  The US infantry have been done in both the M1 helmet and also the PASGT kit that came into use in the mid-80's.  Similarly we've had the Soviets sculpted with the AK-47 and AK-74 to make them useful for a wider period.  There's also a PKM team to come for the Soviets.

Good news on the vehicles front too, where we've found a new sculptor and we're working to fast track some additions for these new ranges.  We should have the BMP-1 and some T-64s ready for release next week, along with some new M3 variants for the recent Israeli ranges.

Hopefully we'll have these moulded and released at our 30th Birthday Bash in 3 weeks' time!

Great work as always on these ranges by Techno!

USA

Infantry in M1 helmet, advancing x 2, firing x 1 / Infantry in PASGT, advancing x 2, firing x 1, kneeling x 1 / Grenadier x 1:
ColdWarUS1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

GPMG team, mortar crews / 0.50cal team / M47 Dragon team:
ColdWarUS2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

LAW team / Stinger team / Radio operator / Officers x 2 / Casualty:
ColdWarUS3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Artillery crews x 4 / M151 MUTT with driver / Tank commander:
ColdWarUS4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

M151 Mutt with TOW:
ColdWarUS5 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Soviets

Infantry with AK-47, advancing x 2, firing x 1 / Infantry with AK-74, advancing x 2, firing x 1, kneeling x 1 / With RPK, advancing x 1, firing x 1:
ColdWarSoviet1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

RPG-7 / AGS-17 team / mortar crew / Strela-3 team / Radio operator / Sniper:
ColdWarSoviet2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Engineer team x 4 / Officers x 2:
ColdWarSoviet3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Casualty / Artillery crews x 4 / Tank commander:
ColdWarSoviet4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

We hope you like them!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sultanbev

Love the chap waving the flags in the Soviet artillery crew set!
Can't tell from the angles, are the Soviets in flak jacket?

Mark

Leon

Quote from: sultanbev on 26 June 2022, 11:18:52 PMCan't tell from the angles, are the Soviets in flak jacket?

I can't remember to be honest!  We were debating them somewhere along the line but I'll need to check the sculpts tomorrow.  We might have gone with a similar divide as the US, with the earlier figures without and the later figures with?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

Oh dear. I recently re-re-re-read The Third World War by Brigadier Hackett.

Very impressed with the Stinger team ... especially the one pointing saying "it's there, no to your left, other left, that big thing in the sky coming towards us ...  have you left the lens cap on?"

Very comprehensive.

My only gripe would be that there's no machine gunner standing. 

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Excellent range there and has given me much to ponder. I ordered Red Storm Rising and The Third World War last night in anticipation of some CWC games in the future :) .

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: Steve J on 27 June 2022, 07:00:16 AMExcellent range there and has given me much to ponder. I ordered Red Storm Rising and The Third World War last night in anticipation of some CWC games in the future :) .

If you can get hold of a 2nd hand copy of 'First Clash' by Kenneth Macksey - published by Book Club Associates (1985) by arrangement with Arms & Armour Press {no ISBN sadly} it is a really good book.
A Canadian Leopard MBT ground eye-view of combat in 1985 from a NATO perspective.

I'd also recommend an old favorite 'yarn' ... 'Sword Point' from Harold Coyle and for a more contemporary view, with some interesting and very prophetic observations - 'War with Russia' by General Richard Shirriff.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Shedman

Steve J

I have my eye on a copy of 'First Clash' Mark, as it does look like an excellent read. I'm torn between some of the larger games (almost brigade size each side at times) we used to play at the club in 6mm, or more of a Mechanized Battalion sized Battlegroup with support.

Big Insect

Quote from: Steve J on 27 June 2022, 10:20:29 AMI have my eye on a copy of 'First Clash' Mark, as it does look like an excellent read. I'm torn between some of the larger games (almost brigade size each side at times) we used to play at the club in 6mm, or more of a Mechanized Battalion sized Battlegroup with support.

First Clash is a more Battalion (even Platoon) sized encounter/read Steve - I personally prefer that size combats in 10mm/15mm/20mm - doing the larger battles in 6mm.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Those are brilliant.
Just one question, is that real blood on the US casulty base?  :-&
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

First Clash was written at the request of the Canadian Army as a fun training manual, it is a good read. Also there is Battle by MacAsey which is Normandy 44 and in the same style.

Steve J

QuoteFirst Clash is a more Battalion (even Platoon) sized encounter/read Steve - I personally prefer that size combats in 10mm/15mm/20mm - doing the larger battles in 6mm.

My current leaning is towards 10mm and smaller battles, as I really don't have the space at present to do justice to the larger ones in 6mm.