Armies in the 1700s

Started by Obsidian23, 24 June 2022, 03:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsidian23

A question for the group.   Yes, sorry its been a couple of years!  Covid, University, work, life etc etc

So I have a Malburian Army from the folks at Pendraken that has sat in my cupboard for about 3 years. So my question is this...

I want to paint up 2 different sides.  Thinking of doing the French and Indian Wars to start, then some of the factions in Europe.  Therefore can the generic Malburian uniforms be used for anyone or are the nation specific?  If I wnated to add to what I have, which selection would be a best match, F&I war, WSS, 7 Years War?

Thanks.

FierceKitty

Your "French and Indian Wars" - how far back do they go?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 June 2022, 03:35:59 PMYour "French and Indian Wars" - how far back do they go?

"The French and Indian War (1754-1763) was a theater of the Seven Years' War" - Wikipedia

So I'm guessing 1754?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

24 June 2022, 03:54:03 PM #3 Last Edit: 24 June 2022, 05:16:09 PM by fsn
War of the Spanish Succession

7 Years War

You can see that in 50 years they changed the way they wore the coat. If you have an Army of Marlborough, I'd be thinking Prince Eugene rather than the Old Fritz.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

I have an absolute ton of Pendraken 7YW figures, British, French and Russian.

I have almost as many Marlburian figures.

I use them all together in a big game now an again. I see no problem.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Antioch

To a pureist is almost a travesty..however yes in 10 mm most would not notice.  Personally I have both, in different scales.  My preference would be WSS... fought in 3-4 European theatres (depending on year) France/Bavaria against almost everyone elese. A fascinating period that often gets overlooked.

Nick Dorrell has done some great work & published a book on the Spanish front...probably one of the least understood ones...well balanced gaming. (And some outrageously coloured uniforms)

French-Indian wars also can be fun but as a Canadian its mostly infantry in a few major set piece battles & a lot of frontier raiding. Armies moved mostly on the waterways & led to forts in very strategic places on rivers & lakes. And yes french -indian wars in the 1750-54 period.

Wishing you well whatever way you elect to go.

Bob

fred.

In WSS there was little difference between uniforms of line infantry for most countries. Grenadiers used a variety of different hats - which do link to nationalities. 

Cavalry tended to vary between jackets and tricorns, or helmets with or without buff coats. Which again varied on national lines. 

While units were uniform in the appearance - this was much less the case for whole armies. Whilst the French where predominately in grey, they had red, blue, brown, or yellow jacketed units too. 

What this means is if you have removable flags your troops can work well across a wide variety of battles and sides!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

My personal preference is for WSS. The 7YW is a bit fussy for me.

I like Fred's idea of changing flags.  :) 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

I would also go for WSS in the Spanish Peninsula, French and Spanish (who had some superbly coloured uniforms) vs British/Portuguese/Catalan/Dutch/Germans. Plus you can refight a battle where the British and allies were commanded by a Frenchman and the French/Spanish army was led by a Brit!