Moroccan Goumiers - proxy figures?

Started by sultanbev, 15 June 2022, 09:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

Hi there, we're looking at building a Moroccan Goumier unit in 10mm for the Italian campaign, any suggestions on possible figure proxies?

http://pdbgg240.free.fr/images/unif.jpg

They had mounted scouts as well, so a horse born variety would be helpful too,

Mark

sultanbev

half answered my own question, for Goumiers in North Africa earlier in the war I can use the Moroccan Mehal-la-Jalifiana in the SCW range for the foot.

Doing about 60 head swaps isn't an option!

Steve J

I can only think of some WWI Brits and WWII Americans in greatcoats which might just pass muster once on the table.

fsn

Are you totally wedded to helmets?

If not the SCW Moroccans may be useful
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sultanbev

Quote from: fsn on 15 June 2022, 04:59:27 PMAre you totally wedded to helmets?

Not decided yet. Apparently they retained the US M1917 helmet that looks like a British one until the end of the war, so the available Americans in greatcoats wouldn't do.
The advantage of not using helmets is that I can then use for 1940-41 against Italians in club games, which would be a bonus.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

I'm wondering if some of the SCW foul weather figures could be painted as troops in skull caps with careful painting and if people didn't look too closely?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

sultanbev

Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 June 2022, 06:03:04 PMI'm wondering if some of the SCW foul weather figures could be painted as troops

That's a good shout out, thanks, especially with the cavalry and Hotchkiss MMG team available. No LMG though. Wearing the adrian helmet, I might be sold on the idea of just painting the regular French infantry in stripy pyjamas.