Old 1" Bath Taps

Started by Heedless Horseman, 11 June 2022, 03:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

11 June 2022, 03:33:32 AM Last Edit: 11 June 2022, 04:33:17 AM by Heedless Horseman
Has anyone still got any old 60s 1" Bath Tap Valves / heads or conversion kits to take 1" down to smaller diameters... lying around?
Plumber cannot source any now and none on ebay.
They DID exist, once!
'Modern' bath taps are 3/4" and too small... and 1/2" sink taps need 1" Washer cup!
No hot water and cold using stopcock for a Month!
COLD baths are NOT fun!  :(

WILL pay + postage  by cheque... getting desperate...and stinky!
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I bet cold baths aren't much fun. Try on Freecycle, may get lucky.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 11 June 2022, 03:33:32 AMHas anyone still got any old 60s 1" Bath Tap Valves / heads or conversion kits to take 1" down to smaller diameters... lying around?
Plumber cannot source any now and none on ebay.
They DID exist, once!
'Modern' bath taps are 3/4" and too small... and 1/2" sink taps need 1" Washer cup!
No hot water and cold using stopcock for a Month!
COLD baths are NOT fun!  :(

WILL pay + postage  by cheque... getting desperate...and stinky!

Sadly not - but I'd suggest trying vintage architectural salvage yards - not sure if such things exist near you, but we bought a couple of really nice cast-iron Victorian enamel baths from a architectural salvage yard. That was a few year back, but they provided all the old solid brass taps as well, as we needed them to fit in the holes in the tub.
We dealt with one yard (up near Stroud, Glos) very effectively via email/post - they sent us WhatsApp videos of something that we'd made an enquiry about, and then mailed us the item. We just had to pay the return postage if it wasn't what we wanted & they refunded the purchase price.
I suspect that many of them didn't survive Covid - but worth a try.
Just a thought.
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fred.

Not entirely sure what you are looking for - but 1" thread converters are available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183401300568?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jtqiqKzDS7q&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=YwjWC14-Swy&var=690710604913&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not sure which bit is 1" is it the pipes, or the taps? If the taps can't you just replace them?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Heedless Horseman

Thanks chaps. Will have to see. Fred...that particular item was not what I was looking for... but followed ebay link to something that 'might' accept a 3/4" modern bath tap.
Dunno if it will work... think base of tap has to 'bed' on something to seal.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

fred.

I replaced a kitchen tap fairly recently (not an old one). The base of the tap wasn't involved in the plumbing at all. The pipes screw into the hollow stem of the tap (mixer tap, so both input pipes into the same stem). 

The whole stem then is held in place by an oversize bolt that goes under the counter - but this is for location and stability. It would work fine without it. 

I'd suggest trying another plumber?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Matt J

I've done a fair bit of plumbing on old houses, fair to say I take the approach of rip everything out and start again!

Is it your feed pipes that are 1" rather than standard 22mm? If so, yeah you gonna have a problem.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep