Visibility - Vision arcs

Started by JJ252, 11 June 2022, 11:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ252

Looking at the photo/diagram on page 14 of the rules (I do think the rule sections should be numbered, for ease of reference).

Tanks are given a vision arc 45 degrees either side of straight ahead - fair enough, tanks are well known for having restricted visibility, especially when closed down.

However the rules, as stated, are 'top down' so the restrictions of a single vehicle are being applied effectively to the battalion/company commander.

If a single base represents 3-5 tanks in a platoon, in reality would try to deploy so that each vehicle would be assigned a vision arc, thereby reducing visibility problems around the platoon.

Ithoriel

While crews may occasionally sweep other areas the focus of the unit will be in the direction of travel/ expected location of enemy forces which is what I imagine the restriction is intended to represent.

As said before, for me right result for wrong reason trumps wrong result for the right reason.

You need to focus on outputs not inputs.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Rhys

All well and good but a turn is "up to 30 minutes long" with no lower limit.
Surely a tank platoon would have a far better situational awareness that 45 degrees from straight ahead?
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

Shedman

Quote from: JJ252 on 11 June 2022, 11:18:19 AMTanks are given a vision arc 45 degrees either side of straight ahead - fair enough, tanks are well known for having restricted visibility, especially when closed down.

Only AFVs with "R" have Restricted arcs. This is usually Soviet AFVs.

British & US armour tend to have normal arcs ie 180°