Elephants in the Indian Mutiny

Started by paulr, 06 June 2022, 09:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Were elephants used as combat units during the Indian Mutiny 1857-8 :-\

I know they were used as transport, to pull large guns and to carry princes. But were they used as combat units, charging the enemy?

Apparently elephants fought in the 1878-80 Afghan war :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

My only book on the matter - Flashman in the Great Game - doesn't mention them. So no*.

* Sorry, this is incredibly unhelpful, I know.

paulr

06 June 2022, 10:09:22 PM #2 Last Edit: 06 June 2022, 10:14:24 PM by paulr
:)

Almost as unhelpful as a painting I found of the battle of Bareilly which shows British dragoons fighting with Indian cavalry with an elephant involved. A few troops  firing from the back of the elephant, perhaps transport caught up in the battle...

Big Insect

My own limited research suggest that other than for transport purposes (dragging guns around or pulling baggage carts) the answer is (sadly) no, no known combat engagements in the Mutiny.

They do appear to have had an active combat role earlier - Tipo Sultan used some in a battle against the East India Company to break an EIC sepoy square - but the infantry had already been very mangled by artillery and musketry before the elephants went in.

I'm a big fan of that earlier period of EIC expansion - it would be nice to see a proper 10mm range covering the Marathas, Afghans, Mughuls and all the various assorted earlier Sepoy infantry and EIC troops. Colourful massed battles. 10mm would work very well for that.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

flamingpig0

QuoteMy own limited research suggest that other than for transport purposes (dragging guns around or pulling baggage carts) the answer is (sadly) no, no known combat engagements in the Mutiny.

They do appear to have had an active combat role earlier -

and later!

"Some wore uniforms, were armed with swords, spears and muzzle-loading guns. One gang intercepted on their return from fighting even had an armoured elephant."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/05/partition-70-years-on-india-pakistan-denial

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

paulr

I came across one quote of elephants being used to move heavy guns then switching to bullocks as they approached the battlefield.

I think I'll leave the rules for elephants in but not hunt around for any suitable figures.

Antioch

Remember reading (some time ago) about elephants being used to work open (push in) the gate on one of the fortreses or cities. Sorry no firm evidence to point to on that, but definately haulings guns etc.

Bob

steve_holmes_11

The gate ramming is well attested, to a point where Mughal fortresses have substantial spikes on the doors to deter the beasts.

steve_holmes_11

There's a clear transition from shock troops to heavy artillery movers to logistics train as field artillery grew more deadly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_elephant#Modern_era

The page also includes a painting of a mutineer sharpshooter on elephant back.
Perhaps fanciful, or perhaps based on a real event.

Big Insect

Quote from: paulr on 07 June 2022, 08:46:11 PMI came across one quote of elephants being used to move heavy guns then switching to bullocks as they approached the battlefield.

I think I'll leave the rules for elephants in but not hunt around for any suitable figures.

I think Irregular might do them - I know they do in 20mm.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Pendraken does do the artillery mover elephant from the Indian Mutiny range

https://www.pendraken.co.uk/nmub19-nelephant-with-siege-gun-limber-1-2692-p.asp

You could come up with something using the Carthaginian elephant with a Mutiny crew but it's not the spiffy Mughal armoured types.

Irregular does make a Mughal armoured elephant but it's not one of their finest.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

paulr

Thanks Grumpy

Slightly derailing my own thread does anyone know of a source of a model suitable for a Ganges steamer in 1857?

From what I can gather they were side wheeled paddle steamers and I'm looking for one that would fit on a 3"x1.5" base

Perhaps something from the ACW might do :-\

FierceKitty

GOM - an African elephant in an Indian army? Howls of derisive laughter, sahib.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

pierre the shy

Quick sidetrip on a taxing day.......

QuoteThanks Grumpy

Slightly derailing my own thread does anyone know of a source of a model suitable for a Ganges steamer in 1857?

From what I can gather they were side wheeled paddle steamers and I'm looking for one that would fit on a 3"x1.5" base

Perhaps something from the ACW might do :-\

Of possible use?

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=d129949ec42234c51b8a30bdbf77072d&action=forum#c3

https://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/news-photo/model-of-the-paddle-steamers-built-for-the-east-india-news-photo/90747916

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Your steamer could probably be faked from an ACW steamer - if you have access to a 3d printer should be able to find and scale one.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021