Italian Wars Gendarmes

Started by DHautpol, 05 June 2022, 02:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHautpol

I have just completed and based some figures I first began painting about 25 years ago.  Back then the club I visited was doing DBR, amongst other things, and I was very taken with some of the figures and decided to do my own.  I got off to a decent start and then, inevitably, other projects came along and they languished in their box.  I would look at them periodically, sigh and put them away again.

Recently I found myself fatigued by painting Pendraken ECW cavalry; there are only so many horsemen in various shades of brown and tan you can paint before the enthusiasm wanes.  So I put the ECW aside and found myself looking at the DBR figures again and determined to push through with them.  The figures are 15mm Gladiator Miniatures, a little quirky but with great charm.

The gendarmes are quite time-consuming as, once you have prepped them and painted what little can be seen of the horses, each one is an individual and I found myself finishing one figure before moving on.  The last photo shows them with some mounted Crossbowmen who were completed last year.

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Simply GORGEOUS! Many congratulations!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Very nice work indeed! Certainly a change from the shades of brown of ECW cavalry. 

With figures like these I always struggle with what colours to use, and end up stalling. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

Nice figures, can you remember the manufacturer?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Elliesdad

Not only a superb paint job, but all the lances were replaced too. Not only skilled with a paintbrush but also with a drill. 👏👏

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DHautpol

Thank you very much for all the kind comments.

To answer a few questions:

• The figures are GLADIATOR MINIATURES, now owned by FIGHTING 15s (www.fighting15s.com).
  • The originality bit does take its toll and I found myself running out of ideas; there are a few Premiership rugby teams represented in their ranks - Harlequins, Leicester and Northampton, to name a few.
  • I always look to replace cast-on pikes and lances.  The lances on these gendarmes are 1mm brass rod and I have also replaced the pikes on the foot units with 1mm plastic rod.  The plastic rod has a nice bit of give in it, can be easily drilled out should any need replacing and improves the balance by shifting the weight back towards the figures.

2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!

Terry37

They look good from what I can see. I am currently repainting my DBA-HX 25 MM Old Minifig Milanese army. A friend painted them for me in exchange for some figures I had that he wanted, and we've had lots of fun games since. However, he did not really understand Italian renaissance dress and painted them more like medieval than renaissance. it's a slow go, as D'Hautpol has said each figure is an individual. My knights are nearly done and being Milanese their them is the Sforza family, as will be the rest of the army. But I am enjoying it. Of curse I don't near as many figures to do as you've done.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams