Roof Slate colours

Started by pierre the shy, 04 June 2022, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Finally got on to undercoating a whole lot of 6mm TBM resin buildings I got for my mainly Scots war of the 3  kingdoms forces. While all the crofts etc are thatched some of the farm buildings, mill, kirk etc have slate roofs.

Looking at google earth etc seems that the tiles on most older UK slate roofs are grey or almost black rather than red/orange etc found in more humid climes.

So am I safe/correct to depict them as various shades of darker grey or even black?     
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Start with black grey, highlight l
Slate grey, then pick out individual slates that are paler and/or discoloured.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

An example at the approximate size and angle of a battlefield view.

Note the difference between light and shade, the "Close, but marginally darker" comparison to tarmac roads.
Also the varied tones on the Nithsdale Road terrace, which I believe had renovations.

There's variation in slate, and replacements are rarely a perfect match, hence the Lord Speedy's suggestion to pick out individual pieces.

Orcs

I would add a very small amount of blue into the dark grey, as most slate has a slightly blue tinge - but i emphasize a very small amount
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

pierre the shy

Ok thanks for all the quick replies  :-bd 

I'll try a bit of variation in some tiles and add a little blue to the mix.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fred.

Yes lots of slate roofs in the UK - made from actual sheets of slate stone. Which is a pretty dark grey. 

Red / orange roofs are from clay tiles and are also in use in the UK now. But not sure of there use over different time periods - but they are less common than slate. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!