Scaling down

Started by mrkev, 03 June 2022, 08:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrkev

Hi all,

New CWC player here!  Had my first read-through of the rules and there are a lot of concepts I'm keen to put into action.

One thing I'm keen on is smaller actions. It's stated a few times that the game can be played from company level up but with 1 base equalling a platoon this seems like it would lead to a tiny game!

Are there any recommendations for running games at company level like this?  It might be that I've missed the rule explaining how to do this.

Cheers!

Norm

I have an old blog post on a 'small' game of BKC, which is the WWII set, but never-the-less should give an idea of a small order of battle in action. Link

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/06/blitzkrieg-commander-iv-in-defence-of.html

Ithoriel

BKC works perfectly well if you step down a level so, instead of platoons, infantry stands are a section and vehicles represent a single example not a troop.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Norm

The problem with vehicles representing singles is that the combat system works around accruing hits for vehicles, so you don't get the single knock out shot that you would on a true 1:1 set. Mechanically it works, but the visual / mindset thing is off a bit.

One could represent a platoon with 3 actual vehicles and let that group of vehicles accrue the hits and that would visually off-set the issue of dropping down to 1:1.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Norm on 04 June 2022, 06:22:46 AMThe problem with vehicles representing singles is that the combat system works around accruing hits for vehicles, so you don't get the single knock out shot that you would on a true 1:1 set. Mechanically it works, but the visual / mindset thing is off a bit.

One could represent a platoon with 3 actual vehicles and let that group of vehicles accrue the hits and that would visually off-set the issue of dropping down to 1:1.

We played a few small scale actions and didn't find that a problem. We play that hits come off. If the vehicle accumulated enough damage in a turn to be removed then clearly one or more of those shots was a kill shot. If not then Mariya Oktyabrskaya has leapt out of "Fighting Girlfriend" and fixed the damaged track, leapt back in and the vehicle is good as new, or whatever.

We didn't have many vehicles in any case, which probably helped.

Worked for us but clearly may not for everyone.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

First of all, welcome on board :) . I've played many small games using BKCII on a 2' x 2' table, with say a reinfirced Company and some armoured vehicles. These gave fun and interesting games, so hopefully the same should work with CWCII.

mrkev

QuoteThe problem with vehicles representing singles is that the combat system works around accruing hits for vehicles, so you don't get the single knock out shot that you would on a true 1:1 set. Mechanically it works, but the visual / mindset thing is off a bit.

Lots of great answers already, thanks all!

This point here re: the hit-count was something I was wondering too.  My first thought was maybe halving the stats per-base and then using 2 bases for a unit. My stuff is all based on 2P coins so it wouldn't harm unit frontage.

Big Insect

Quote from: mrkev on 04 June 2022, 10:01:59 PMLots of great answers already, thanks all!

This point here re: the hit-count was something I was wondering too.  My first thought was maybe halving the stats per-base and then using 2 bases for a unit. My stuff is all based on 2P coins so it wouldn't harm unit frontage.

The other way to do its is to play - Hits stay on. Remove Suppression as usual but accumulate the hits between  game-turns.
Another way to play a more 1:1 game is that for template fire (off-table artillery or air-strikes) use the 2 hits -auto-suppression concept. Some players play this only with 'soft' targets and not armour.

Both might help create that more 1:1 feel.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.