Suppression & Falling Back

Started by Dice Dad, 01 June 2022, 07:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dice Dad

Hi, first post yay!

I have a question about Suppression and Falling Back. If a unit is not destroyed and needs to resolve remaining hits can it become Suppressed and Fall Back in the same turn?

I.e. I have two unsaved hits. I become Suppressed with the first. If I fail the second do I then also Fall Back?

paulr

Welcome to the forum Dice Dad :-h
or may we call you Dice ;)

I'm sure someone who plays the rules will be along shortly to answer your question
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Genom

I'm pretty sure it's diced for within the current attack. So you roll all hits to check for suppression within the current attack. If the unit takes further hits from a different attack then fallback can happen against already suppressed units.

Dice Dad

Thanks for the response. That was how I interpreted it.

Big Insect

QuoteHi, first post yay!

I have a question about Suppression and Falling Back. If a unit is not destroyed and needs to resolve remaining hits can it become Suppressed and Fall Back in the same turn?

I.e. I have two unsaved hits. I become Suppressed with the first. If I fail the second do I then also Fall Back?

> if both hits occur from the same round of firing (& that is why it is important that when shooting at a target all shooting at that target is nominated at the same time) then the answer is No. You roll all your Save dice at once and then all your Suppression dice at once - on that roll it doesn't matter how many suppressions you get, you only count suppressed the once.
However, if in the next commanded order, your opponent targets that same (already) suppressed unit and you get more suppression, then the fall-back mechanism comes into play.

Again, it is important to stress that the target unit must be hit all at once by all on-table fire at the same time in relation to a specific Command order. So your opponent cannot fire one unit at a time at the same target and if it is destroyed, then divert the remaining units under his command to fire at a different target. Target nomination must take place at the start of the order ahead of the command roll being made.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Answer above on-line
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Dice Dad

That does make sense, thank you.