Ithoriel's Strength & Honour DIY

Started by Ithoriel, 31 May 2022, 05:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Love that, really shows the benefits of the smaller scale.

I don't need another project...I don't need another project...

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

To answer Paul first, the town base 150mm square.

A couple more items complete.

First up is a Brigade Models' Small Scale Scenery British Dark Age village masquerading as a Gallic one. Sorry, I couldn't find a 2mm small Gaul, large Gaul, druid and small dog.

Next up is a forest made from a chunk of bathmat

Next batch waiting to be done are actual units!! There will be blood heffalumps!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd

What would the outer wall of the 'village' be made of, stone :-\

collegialhoagie

Lovely work! What armies are you going to build, apart from a roman one?

Raider4

Quote:-bd  =D>  :-bd

What would the outer wall of the 'village' be made of, stone :-\
Let's check our primary source:

(From https://www.asterix.com/en/welcome-to-the-virtual-village/)

paulr

Ithoriel

13 June 2022, 11:38:52 AM #37 Last Edit: 13 June 2022, 11:51:21 AM by Ithoriel
Well, given the image is from one of the set texts from my University Archaeology course I must, of course, give it credence. However, the model definitely looks to me as if it has a stone reinforced wall rather than a wooden palisade. :)

@collegialhoagie - Current plan is two Roman forces, one Gallic, one German and one Spanish but knowing me I may wind up with only the one Roman army with nothing to fight or one of every army in the lists! No plan of mine survives contact with reality :)

Thanks for the comments (and amusement) folks!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Surely the wall be made of what was locally and easily available?

You wouldn't (for example) build a wooden wall in Shetland because there are no trees. Not a problem in some of the leafier areas of the world where wood would be easier to source than having to dig up rocks.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Antioch

Ithoriel

You will be happy to note strength and honor has also made to the farther reaches of the empire, even here.

Also trying for romans & gauls (& yes too many projects on the go here). There is a gentleman from a northern (?) club in the UK who has modified the rules & first started doing war of the roses & then early renessaince... you may have seen his own pictures on the rules FB page. In any case the pike blocks look very impressive.

Carry on ..looks like you are doing nice work.

Bob

Ithoriel

Exactly so, fsn, you go with what you have in these things. Perhaps I need to model a rock quarry?

Antioch, glad it's tendrils are spreading :)

I've heard about the Medieval version but don't do Facebook - too toxic an environment for my tastes.

I am playing about with ideas for a Sumerian version though. Early days and hampered by my gridded mat from Tiny Wargames having been eaten by the delivery system. :(  Local joke is that Hermes rebranded as Evri because evri parcel is lost, damaged or stolen maybe it's true of all carriers :o

Now, how to source 2mm Sumerian Battle carts? I already have stl's that would do as spearmen, archers and "nim", at a pinch.

Antioch

I would try posting some of those medieval pictures but haven't bothered to read the how too section yet.  It seems there is a lot of 3d file modifications going on but in the 1 game I played the mechanics look very sound. A lot of the games I have seem appear to be very close & gack dare I use the word...Fun. Of course the older one gets the more important that part seems to be.

In any case good luck with you dissapearing mat & especially with those Sumarian battle carts.

Bob

pierre the shy

Great looking terrain Mike, like that bathmat forest.

Quote from: Antioch on 13 June 2022, 04:25:29 PMIthoriel

You will be happy to note strength and honor has also made to the farther reaches of the empire, even here.

Also trying for romans & gauls (& yes too many projects on the go here). There is a gentleman from a northern (?) club in the UK who has modified the rules & first started doing war of the roses & then early renessaince... you may have seen his own pictures on the rules FB page. In any case the pike blocks look very impressive.

Carry on ..looks like you are doing nice work.

Bob

And even to the farthest reaches of the empire!

Do you have any links to the War of the Roses/Early Rennaissance modifications Bob? My googling did not turn up anything. 

Charles the Bold's Duchy of Burgundy vs the Swiss in 2mm would be interesting......off I go down another rabbit hole  @-)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Antioch

Pierre,

Sorry no official or unofficial modifications have been posted... Just pictures of the units (mighty nice pictures too) They are posted on the Strength & Homor FB page by a chap named Paul Clarke in one of the gaming clubs around sheffield. They seem to be doing there own thing & are not supported by Mark the author of the rules.  PM me your email address & I can send over the screen shots I have.  From what I have seen they have or are using for 100 years war, war of the roses & started in on Burgundian wars.

Sorry about all I have on this.     Bob

pierre the shy

OK thanks very much for the info Bob, I will PM you a little later.

Cheers Peter

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.