Ithoriel's Strength & Honour DIY

Started by Ithoriel, 31 May 2022, 05:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

I want the label to stand out Paul. I want an opponent to be able to tell from the other side of the table which unit they are looking at.

I think I need to brighten the colours. Silver washed in soft tone rather than gunmetal lightly drybrushed silver. Layering the red over white rather than the base gunmetal for shields. That sort of thing.

I'd like a bit more chinchilla dust texturing the base too instead of random bits here and there.

I little more time taken might help!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 June 2022, 10:33:03 PMI want the label to stand out Paul. I want an opponent to be able to tell from the other side of the table which unit they are looking at...
Good point :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

mmcv

Does look the part, though you certainly have to go much brighter colour wise for things to stand out at that distance and scale.

Ithoriel

First piece of terrain for Strength and Honour done.

A farm with an orchard and some bushes (vines?).

Buildings are from Brigade Models' Small Scale Scenery range, trees are the ends of bamboo stemmed cotton buds dipped in wood glue then twirled in chinchilla dust and the bushes are lengths of green pipe cleaner.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/8833/bwRknk.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/5372/HfoS7S.jpg

A whole Roman town is under construction! Pictures to follow.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>

Great to see a return to DIY terrain :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Fantastic, that's a great idea using the cotton buds

Antioch

Very nice terrain work. Also working on armies & some terrain for that system.

Ithoriel

Thanks folks.

Work continues on the  town.

fred.

That's cool. Looking forward to seeing the town 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

09 June 2022, 03:48:21 PM #26 Last Edit: 09 June 2022, 04:17:58 PM by Ithoriel
The town goes on apace. Wonky walls and all.

Slightly misjudged the space the thing would take up so squidged the walls to make them fit. But, hey, real town walls aren't straight either.

The temple of Jupiter Optimus Magnus was painted in situ, other buildings are being painted separately and will be glued in place as they are completed.

The town walls are from Brigade Models Small Scale Scenery range.

Specific packs were

2 x SSS-8120 Curtain Walls (pack of 4)

1 x SSS-8120a Walls with Round Bastion (pack of 2)

1 x SSS-8122s Square Towers (pack of 4)

2 x SSS-8123a Gatehouse Type-1

The enormous temple, which dwarfs the surrounding buildings as St Paul's or York Minster do, is

SSS-8061 Roman Temple

T13A

Hi Ithoriel

Really enjoying this thread and seeing the work put in. Looking forward to some thoughts on the rules themselves.  =D>

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: mmcv on 08 June 2022, 02:25:08 PMFantastic, that's a great idea using the cotton buds

They make great splash markers for naval games as well
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Thanks once again for the comments.

So, now I give you the Roman(-ised?) town of Numquam :)

My plan at the moment is to run a solo campaign set in Italy, Gaul and Spain .... so I need to stop having fun with terrain and get some troops painted.

Therefore projects currently under way for this are ... err .... a Gallic Village (actually a Dark Age one from Brigade Models) and a bathmat wood. Doh! :)