Norman chain mail and 1066 armour/dress in general

Started by Sunray, 28 May 2022, 12:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I have a wee project (famous last words) to paint up a few 1066 era figures for a school history diorama.

Way out of my 20th century period/comfort zone.

Advice on shades for helmet/chain mail and other clothing very welcome.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Natural steel paint, or you could burnish them with a suede brush then varnish.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

For mail I usually undercoat in black, then apply a gunmetal and dry brush steel/silver.

Occasionally I'll add a dark wash.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

QuoteFor mail I usually undercoat in black, then apply a gunmetal and dry brush steel/silver. 

This is my normal method too. And use the brighter steel or silver for weapons and plate armour and helmets. 

for clothing 20th century muted military colours work pretty well for early medieval clothing. Maybe adding the odd brighter colour for higher status knights.  
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Gwydion

Don't be too put off from using colours brighter than you may imagine from watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You can produce quite strong colours from natural pigments. They may of course fade and sun bleach more quickly than aniline dyes.
Natural Dyes

Last Hussar

Many years ago when I was a reenacator we had a member who was very "Oirish".

One day he was showing off his new cirtle, dyed a deep brick red. I looked at it and said "after a few washes that will be a lovely shade of orange", and then walked away.

Apparently the reaction was a joy to behold.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Big Insect

"he was showing off his new cirtle" - cirtle = female attire - was this an early case of cross-dressing???

On the issue of mail (no such thing as chain-mail - it was a Victorian invention) I black undercoat and then dry brush with a steel or gun-metal colour. You can black undercoat and burnish (with a large darning needle) but you will need to varnish it fairly quickly to stop it tarnishing back to grey.

In the field a lot of mail coats would have gone rusty very quickly - so I suspect that (especially in a damper climate) you'd be better off using a dark brown as a base coat, rather than black, and use your gun-metal dry-brushing sparingly.

Mail coats were mostly transported in barrels when on campaign.
They were also 'polished' by being 'tumbled' in special barrels (a bit like butter churns) filling with fine sand and oil. This was not a practice you'd do on campaign though, as you'd have to detach the mail from its backing arming doublet (probably padded leather or multiple layers of quilted linen) which was a lengthy process. I suspect that the oil made the mail very smelly - especially in hot climates.

The Mamelukes used fine, scented talcum powder (made from ground gypsum or naturally occurring asbestos!) to polish their mail - but again they appear to have used oil as the medium to lubricate the polishing. 

More useless info - I'm not even sure where I acquired a lot of it ... a life-time of obscure reading!!!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

I've read that a re-enaction found that mail kept itself rust-free as long as it was worn quite a bit.

Gwydion

Sorry to spoil your reverie but 'cirtle' (or kirtle) was a unisex garment originally, only becoming solely associated with female attire in the late middle ages/renaissance.

So in answer to your question re cross dressing - almost certainly not. :)

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 August 2022, 11:38:35 AMI've read that a re-enaction found that mail kept itself rust-free as long as it was worn quite a bit.

Presumeably because the CHAINmail is moving about, so self polishes

FierceKitty

Mmm, but they were talking about something which existed.

Orcs

Quote from: Gwydion on 24 August 2022, 12:56:21 PMSorry to spoil your reverie but 'cirtle' (or kirtle) was a unisex garment originally, only becoming solely associated with female attire in the late middle ages/renaissance.

But it would not have bothered Last Hussar, he can be a bit of a old woman  :) 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote from: Orcs on 24 August 2022, 03:14:04 PMBut it would not have bothered Last Hussar, he can be a bit of a old woman  :) 

Should that remark come from Alexander - it's a tad Katty !