CWC-2 QRS and Optional Rules

Started by Leon, 20 May 2022, 11:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

20 May 2022, 11:54:44 PM Last Edit: 29 March 2023, 12:13:10 AM by Leon
Below you can find a variety of support downloads for use with the Cold War Commander 2 rules, all of which are available through our DropBox account here.

- Quick Reference Sheet v1-1 is here.

- Quick Reference Sheet v1-0 is here.

Since the launch of the Cold War Commander rules set, many optional rules have been developed either within the rules themselves or as house rules by various players and clubs. These rules are optional and all players participating in games where they apply must agree to their use in advance of starting the game. They can be played to represent specific scenarios or campaigns, or to add additional detail to a game or to create a faster playing game where playing time is constrained.

General Rules - Click Here
(Includes Commanders, Command Distance Modifiers, Static Hits, Auto-Suppression, Removing Suppressions, Morale Grades, Fixed Formations, Hide, Fast Play Recce and Electronic Warfare)

Artillery & Off-Table - Click Here
(Includes Defensive Smoke, Final Defensive Fire, Reduced Artillery Fire-Zones and Rolling Barrage)

Civilian Refugees - Click Here
(Fleeing or retiring civilians played a major role in affecting an armed engagement and these additional rules make for some really interesting games)

Helicopters - Click Here
(Includes Air-to-Air Attacks and Refuelling)

Mother Russia - Click Here
Allows you the use of massed artillery concentrations, which Russian armies used to create major tactical breakthroughs or to destroy massing enemy forces.

Resource Bases and Recovery Vehicles - Click Here
(Includes Resource Bases and Armoured Recovery Vehicles)

Support Weapons - Click Here
(Includes IATW Operators Evasive Move, Laser Designators, Precision Guided Missiles and Remote Controllers)

Urban Warfare - Click Here
(Allows the rules to be used in a more 1:1 level urban setting, including Line Commanders, Improvised Street Barricades, Demolition and IEDs)

Weather & Terrain - Click Here
(Includes Weather, Wind Direction, Terrain, Random Terrain Generator, Perilous Terrain Command Posts, Vehicles & Blocking Roads and Night Fighting)

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Huey

Hi all,

It was good to see the revised edition and we're all keen to put the toys on the table.  Thanks.

1)   Going back to CWC1, there was a very (quite!) active forum topic "Hidden movement again" on page 7 of the main rules forum.  Is there going to be the option to have both armies hidden, with all the dummies and real markers moving around the table (and throwing the dice!)?  If we / you prohibit dummy minefields then it's not too bad!

2)   Any chance of an index!!!

Thanks again

H

Superscribe

Huey. Hidden deployment P74 maybe what you are looking for....

Huey

Thank you.

It never occurred to me to look in the Scenario chapter!

Cheers.

Big Insect

Quote from: Huey on 18 June 2022, 05:19:58 PMThank you.

It never occurred to me to look in the Scenario chapter!

Cheers.

The plan is to produce an alphabetical index - once we have the army lists all published. That will help to 'sign-post' things like this.
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leon

The Optional Rules are all now available at the top of this thread.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Superscribe

Superscribe

Remote Control optional rules need a bit of clarification please. 

The optional rules state that there must be no High Area Terrain, power lines or water obstacles >10cm wide along the LOF from firing ATGW to the target.  This means that the remote controller HQ could be on the forward slope of a hill but the FV438 or Striker vehicle cannot be behind the hill or behind a wood line. 

However, the optional rule also states the ATGW does not need LoS to hit the target. This seems to contradict the first statement as firing with no LOS means something like a wood, BuA or hill is blocking LoS.

I appreciate a wood or BuA in the LoF might prevent a shoot, but surely firing from a reverse slope position is perfectly acceptable.

Big Insect

03 July 2023, 11:48:36 AM #10 Last Edit: 04 July 2023, 12:59:25 PM by Leon
QuoteRemote Control optional rules need a bit of clarification please. 

The optional rules state that there must be no High Area Terrain, power lines or water obstacles >10cm wide along the LOF from firing ATGW to the target.  This means that the remote controller HQ could be on the forward slope of a hill but the FV438 or Striker vehicle cannot be behind the hill or behind a wood line. 

However, the optional rule also states the ATGW does not need LoS to hit the target. This seems to contradict the first statement as firing with no LOS means something like a wood, BuA or hill is blocking LoS.

I appreciate a wood or BuA in the LoF might prevent a shoot, but surely firing from a reverse slope position is perfectly acceptable.

I agree - the challenge is to word it in such a way that 'intervening' Hills and High Area terrain would interfere with the LoF. So a unit of 'Strikers' behind a hill with a 'spotter' on the forward slope, would not be effected. However, if the target was behind another Hill or BUA or Wood, that would cause a problem. That is the intention.

I'll have a think.
Cheers
Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Sandancer76

Hi there is a link to a V1.1 of the QRS but when I open it the document still shows 1.0. Is there a 1.1 version? It would also be handy if there is a revised edition to note the changes so players easily spot any change.

Leon

Quote from: Sandancer76 on 01 April 2024, 08:33:48 AMHi there is a link to a V1.1 of the QRS but when I open it the document still shows 1.0. Is there a 1.1 version? It would also be handy if there is a revised edition to note the changes so players easily spot any change.

The link is correct, the document just doesn't show the '1.1' in the footer notes.  It's the correct file though, as shown in the URL PDF name at the top. 

Sandancer76

Many thanks for the quick response Leon :-bd