Navwar

Started by Organistus, 14 May 2022, 07:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Organistus

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any news from Navwar? For a week I can't access to the site. It seems to be closed... right or not?

Good evening

Jean-Louis

pierre the shy

Oh no, another site that's not working currently!  :(

Unfortunately the Navwar site seems to be down for me too Jean-Louis.

Did a quick google search but no obvious reason found, only one deleted comment over in TMP.

I know the proprieter (Tony?) was an older gentleman who ran things in his own fashion. He gave fantastic service with regards to several orders that Paul and I faxed over to him from New Zealand in the last few years.

His ship models are really nice for 1/3000 scale and the ranges cover just about every ship you could ever need.

I hope all is well with him, If Navwar does close it would be a considerable loss to the naval gaming community.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Ithoriel

Quote from: pierre the shy on 14 May 2022, 08:06:55 PMOh no, another site that's not working currently!  :(
Unfortunately the Navwar site seems to be down for me too Jean-Louis.
Did a quick google search but no obvious reason found, only one deleted comment over in TMP.
I know the proprieter (Tony?) was an older gentleman who ran things in his own fashion. He gave fantastic service with regards to several orders that Paul and I faxed over to him from New Zealand in the last few years.
His ship models are really nice for 1/3000 scale and the ranges cover just about every ship you could ever need.
I hope all is well with him, If Navwar does close it would be a considerable loss to the naval gaming community.

Yeah, not working for me either.

As you say a sad loss to naval wargaming if this is more than a temporary blip.

I've never met Tony in person but I have had several hour long chats of a Saturday afternoon while he was manning the shop (clearly not a crush of customers!) and he is/ was a scholar and a gentleman.

As to "older gentleman" .... Oi! He's a year or two younger than me if I remember correctly .... Oh! Wait! ..... hmm .... older gentleman .... as you were! :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

I've only faxed stuff to Navwar from NZ so my knowledge of their circumstances is understandably limited.....

As you know I'm not exactly getting any younger myself  :)

Raider4

Quote. . . I'm not exactly getting any younger myself  :)
Few people are . . .

Navwar site not working for me either, get a "server IP address could not be found" message.

paulr

Quote...
As to "older gentleman" .... Oi! He's a year or two younger than me if I remember correctly .... Oh! Wait! ..... hmm .... older gentleman .... as you were! :D

Older definitely applies to you Ithoriel, gentleman :-\  ;D

I also hope all is well with Tony
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

My "Glass half full" approach is that Navwar are so low-tech that they probably wouldn't notice a website outage.

Quickest way to confirm signs of life would be a fax (Possible reply late on Monday)
Failing that a phonecall next Saturday afternoon.

Ithoriel

QuoteMy "Glass half full" approach is that Navwar are so low-tech that they probably wouldn't notice a website outage.

Quickest way to confirm signs of life would be a fax (Possible reply late on Monday)
Failing that a phonecall next Saturday afternoon
That had occurred to me too. Here's hoping!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

Nice idea Steve and Mike, please let us know how you get on.

If you are able to speak to Tony please thank him for the great service he gives his Kiwi based customers. 

Organistus

Yes it will be a great loss. I have ordered only once but I was very satisfied. Alas I have begun ti collect ships for a Falkland campaign and the some ships needed were only available at Navwar.

pierre the shy

Quote from: Organistus on 15 May 2022, 06:27:00 AMYes it will be a great loss. I have ordered only once but I was very satisfied. Alas I have begun ti collect ships for a Falkland campaign and the some ships needed were only available at Navwar.

You might know about Davco 1/3000 stuff already? very similar to, and compatable with Navwar stuff if you need more Falklands stuff and Navwar is out of action:

British warships: https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/davco-13000-modern/davco-13000-modern-great-britain/

Argentinian warships:https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/davco-13000-modern/davco-13000-modern-argentina/

Merchants and some STUFT vessels: https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/davco-13000-merchant-ships/

Liners: (QE 2 and Canberra are in the range) https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/liners/

Not quite the same depth in the ranges but you might find some models you need there.

Hope that helps  :)

Orcs

Last time I visited the shop which was over 10 years ago ( my parents were alive then and lived nearby), Tony mentioned being in his 8th decade so that makes him at least 82.

So hopefully its a technical glitch. but it would be a sad loss
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

UK gamers, if he has gone to a place of well-earned honour in Valhalla, somebody get hold of his moulds and carry on his work. Those ranges are a dam' near indispensable component of naval wargaming.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Organistus

QuoteYou might know about Davco 1/3000 stuff already? very similar to, and compatable with Navwar stuff if you need more Falklands stuff and Navwar is out of action:

British warships: https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/davco-13000-modern/davco-13000-modern-great-britain/

Argentinian warships:https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/davco-13000-modern/davco-13000-modern-argentina/

Merchants and some STUFT vessels: https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/davco-13000-merchant-ships/

Liners: (QE 2 and Canberra are in the range) https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/product-category/davco-13000/liners/

Not quite the same depth in the ranges but you might find some models you need there.

Hope that helps  :)

Thank you for these very useful links. Hum....don't you have the same for 1/2000 acw naval models? I use Langton's models and Navwar's. I wanted to refight the battle of Cherbourg with 1/600 ships but Peter Pig's acw range do not include USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama ! :'( Do you kown another producer for this scale?

pierre the shy

Quote from: Organistus on 16 May 2022, 05:49:15 AMThank you for these very useful links. Hum....don't you have the same for 1/2000 acw naval models? I use Langton's models and Navwar's. I wanted to refight the battle of Cherbourg with 1/600 ships but Peter Pig's acw range do not include USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama ! :'( Do you kown another producer for this scale?

Sorry I don't have any experience with ACW naval stuff at all. I know Tumbling Dice do a nice range of 1/2400 ships for the mid 19th Century including ACW, but I'm not familiar with 1/1200 or 1/600 scale stuff at all.