15mm ECW

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 14 May 2022, 08:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A project that had a lockdown start. A great friend who moved to France a good decade ago to very successfully restore mandolins, was selling on some stuff. Among it, an ECW army bought some point in the late 90s for DBR but not really used. It was undercoated, had the odd bit of paint here and there (which I have kept to honour his schemes), but apart from that it was a blank slate.
With the advent of ReG, MeG's Renaissance spinoff, and a competition at Boards and Swords in November, for which I am also painting Manny's Catholic Germans, who was I to say no! Quick converstation with Iain at Flags of War, and he kindly rescaled some ECW banners for me too.
The bulk of the army is painted, just needs basing and standards adding now.

First four pike and shot units.
The greys

I admit, I was planning a 10mm ECW force, but getting these classics on table was even more satifying.

Blues (I know the pikes are a bit wibbly, but being almost thirty years old, it's okay, some were bent double when I got them, and I am straightening them over time)

Realised after the two test games I have had, under certain light the greys and blues become almost interchangable!

A few mixed jackets helps the 'not-professional' look of them

The greens, who have pretensions of being a good, uniformed unit (I literally picked up six bases each time from the box, if I got matching kit, it was a good day), note the officer transfered from the Blues.

Standard is unknown unit, Earl of Essex's army at Marston Moor

More wobbly pikes. Their new, deeper, box will stop that happening in future

The yellows

The angle of the pikes made it quite nice to have flags going forwards

I swear I edged that flag!

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd

You missed a bit on the Green 3rd Captain's flag as well ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Two elite infantry units for my Parlimentarians. This time I did pick the stands to make the unit.
Black unit

Mostly armoured to count as protected

Glad I decided all flags are going to have the wind at their backs, now the CinC with a flag makes sense

Give 'em hell lads!

Red unit - Dave had already started these all in red, who was I to deny their greatness.

I did love Iain's diamond design for the flag, had to be done.

Almost straight pikes

Like this view

Two units of dragoons

Suspect the gee gees are Essex

Ready to harry and annoy

Not a good place to be!

Top down, a busy battery

One wheelbarrow is shot, is the other potatoes?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Army now finished*, painting hand has been forced as I'm using them against Rob on Friday night!

Parlimetarian Horse regts, front two are Cromwell's Ironsides, ones with plumes behind are just ordinary horse.

Emerging out of the morning mist

CHARGE!

Can you spot the horse that has taken a fall?

My view

Generals, centre figure on each stand is Blue Moon, left to right: Waller (to be used as my 19x Great Uncle Edward Whalley), Cromwell, (waiting on me ordering his flag from Iain at Flags of War), Essex (carrying Bereton's flag in case I do Montgomery) and Fairfax

Looking good boys

Really like the way these have come out

Top view

Good amount of orange sashes

The whole army**

*i.e. until a new unit takes my fancy.

** see above

sunjester

Very nice Will. It seems a small army for so many generals, are they doing the Roman thing of taking it in turns to command on different days?  ;D

You will of course lose, newly painted troops.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021