TV News Coverage of Russia's Victory Day Celebrations.

Started by T13A, 10 May 2022, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 16 May 2022, 06:57:02 AMI am still struggling to see how Ken Dodd can be viewed as the sort of dangerous subversive whose songs need to be banned.

Not subversive just a rather unpleasant man - used to charge for chatity apperances and insisted on being called Mr Dodd Sir.....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote. . . used to charge for chatity apperances
I get the impression that that's the norm, rather than the exception, amongst the rich & famous.

DecemDave

QuoteI am still struggling to see how Ken Dodd can be viewed as the sort of dangerous subversive whose songs need to be banned.
parasitic treatment of melodies stolen from real composers
as the man said

And his creative approach to tax accounting probably didnt help.

steve_holmes_11

16 May 2022, 11:48:33 AM #63 Last Edit: 16 May 2022, 11:58:16 AM by steve_holmes_11
Let's not forget that the BBC started, and continued for several decades with an extreme interpretation of its "No advertising" clause.

Supermarket product labels were disguised in shop scenes.

The very British habit of substituting a leading brand name for a class of goods eg "hoover" was discouraged.
(Pointless job training for cancel culture - as the red tops might headline it today).

Songs were put on a no play list where they mentioned household brands.
    Hence the Kinks Lola has Champagne that tasted like Cherry Cole and not Coca Cola.
    George Formby failed to find a generic substitute for his Little stick of Blackpool Rock.
    Even the oldest profession was affected by the ban: this time Ella Fitzgeralds singing Love for Sale

The censors were far from foolproof, missing many references.
The Andrews Sisters recording of Rum and Coca Cola escaped the ban despite referencing a brand name and the oldest profession.

John Cook

Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 May 2022, 03:18:58 AMThanks. That made interesting reading. Actually, when it comes to banning parasitic treatment of melodies stolen from real composers, I'm right behind them.

To be fair to the Beeb, a lot of these bans were decades ago.

Heedless Horseman

As far as Eurovision SONG Contest goes... gave up on that decades ago, Political voting. But was rather pleased to see those Crazy Finns a few years back !  ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Raider4

Eurovision? Don't give a monkey's, but do feel a bit for the UK team who, after years of getting it so badly, badly wrong, finally get the formula right and are beaten by a - completely understandable - sympathy vote.