TV News Coverage of Russia's Victory Day Celebrations.

Started by T13A, 10 May 2022, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

The Beeb is a big organisation, and has become more "liberal" in terms of less homophobic and sexist. On "personal" issues it's less far right than it was.

On social and political and economic issues it's been on a VERY tight rein, run as it is by Old Etonian chums of the far right.

Since Cousin Dave purged the news & current affairs etc and installed Tory party staffers as above, and restricted the board and directors explicitly to hard right chums a decade ago it's gotten much much worse.

I mean... it's not Fox et Al, it's generally been a bit less in your face, but the level of editorial control and ideological reporting is high, and increasing.

And now it's getting privatised and will be plundered by the chums in business whilst any pretence of objectivity can be thrown out and the people remaining who might be socially liberal will be silenced nicely.

Job done!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ben Waterhouse

I'm with John Cook on this one. I haven't had a TV for 22 years.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

John Cook

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 15 May 2022, 02:42:18 AMThat does kind of suggest that if the BBC was purged of youth, gays, and ethnic minorities it would be a fairer and more balanced organisation. Not at all sure about that being a good idea!

No, what you infer is not what I, or Marr I think, implied.  The point is that the BBC is not a balanced organisation in terms of the people it employs.  The suggestion that the BBC, or any organisation for that matter, should be "purged of youth, gays, and ethnic minorities" is, to be honest, barking mad in the 21st Century, and I would guess that Marr would take considerable offence at the suggestion.

John Cook

Quote from: toxicpixie on 15 May 2022, 01:16:51 PMJob done!

Well, if that means that there will be no more nonsense like trying to ban 'Rule Britannia' from the proms, then bring it on I say. 

Ithoriel

QuoteWell, if that means that there will be no more nonsense like trying to ban 'Rule Britannia' from the proms, then bring it on I say. 
Ugh! Spare me such jingoistic nonsense.

Rousing though it may be, Flower of Scotland is no better.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

QuoteI'm not sure a decade old study is a reliable indicator of current bias.

Well, you won't find the Fabian Society complaining, and why would they anyway/  Rhetorical question.

John Cook

Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 May 2022, 03:02:34 PMUgh! Spare me such jingoistic nonsense.

Rousing though it may be, Flower of Scotland is no better.

Possibly but that is a subjective view and you misunderstand me entirely.  What I object to is banning it at all, and the motive for doing so, not whether it is 'jingoistic' or not or has musical qualities.

Here in the West we do have access to stuff of all hues and persuasions - thankfully.  I read the Guardian, for example, not because I agree with its politics, but because I like to be informed generally. 

The very idea that an organisation can determine what music people listen to, is odious in the extreme.

I can make my own mind up about all kinds of issues, and express my views freely, in writing and verbally, as long as they are neither libellous or slanderous.

In Putin's Russia, and dictatorships of similar ilk, nobody has that option, though the way we are going in this country, perhaps I'm being optimistic.  I share Jordan Peterson's views on free speech and the right to offend.

flamingpig0

QuoteThe very idea that an organisation can determine what music people listen to, is odious in the extreme.

just for info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_banned_by_the_BBC

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

John Cook

Quote from: FierceKitty on 15 May 2022, 01:38:51 AMAlways a far more feline character, wouldn't you say? Independent, capricious, maddening, but overwhelmingly charismatic.

John Cook

sultanbev

QuoteI haven't had a TV for 22 years.

I've never had one. Obviously I have been in households that have TVs, but never owned one myself. According to unreliable BBC figures 7.5% of the population don't have TVs, although that % allegedly went down during the pandemic.

It is essentially correct about the population base that the BBC (and other media) recruit from.

That the BBC has survived for so long is because it has been quite clever in it's support for the establishment. It will tackle contreversial subjects, eg fracking, but then ask the wrong questions, such that anti-establishment interviewees are made to look inferior, incoherent or unknowledgeable, whereas the establishment figure then interviewed is then asked questions that allow them to promote their agenda. So they cannot be accused of censorship, but bias the conversation. Can't remember the name of that toerag on Radio 4 who excelled at it, happen as well.  >:(

The bigger issue with mainstream media is that journalists don't do journalism anymore, ie investigative reporting. Or very rarely. The Guardian's enviromental page does now and again, as shown this week, but most "news" these days is corporate press releases rehashed by interns and published as is without cross-reference or research. The classic blooper this week was three MSM outlets reporting that Sunak was told by civil servants he couldn't uprate benefits by more than the 3.5% he did, due to the systems being 40 year old technology. I knew it was an odd story, and The Canary confirmed it was horsh*t. The system can easily be updated to any amount at any time, even for the legacy benefits. So why was a senior civil servant lying to Sunak? Now that question wasn't covered. and that represents the other MSM issue - they don't hold anyone to account for the wrongdoing they've done. They will make up stuff about people they don't like and hold them to account, but not the establishment.

I'm with the cat. Because of Overshoot. Which is never discussed by the MSM, censorship by ommission....

Leon

Quote from: John Cook on 15 May 2022, 01:31:31 AM...as long as the BBC employs an Executive News Editor, whose hard-Left views are in the public domain.

Is that Jess Brammar?  I remember one of the Conservative MPs kicking up a fuss when she was appointed, as she'd been critical of Johnson and Brexit, but I can't remember anything from her that I'd consider hard-left?

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 15 May 2022, 03:40:38 PMjust for info

That's actually really interesting, I'd not realised so many were banned.  Some are quite obvious (in the 'B' section there!) but others seem a little odd.  Reading into it, a lot are on there due to the advertising restrictions, so Mott the Hoople are banned for the line 'Wendy's stealing clothes from Marks and Sparks' as it names the brand.  How odd.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

Quote from: Leon on 15 May 2022, 11:20:46 PMIs that Jess Brammar? 
Yes, that's her. These terms are relative but put it this way, when at the Huff Post she was very opinionated and politically partisan.  But you'd expect her to be – the HuffPost is what it is.  Her views on Brexit, for example, were extreme, even for a committed Remainer such as myself to swallow.  On the other hand I empathised entirely with her views about Bojo, albeit for often different reasons, which only goes to show, I suppose, that people are complex individuals, with even more than 50 shades of grey :D   

FierceKitty

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 15 May 2022, 03:40:38 PMjust for info

Thanks. That made interesting reading. Actually, when it comes to banning parasitic treatment of melodies stolen from real composers, I'm right behind them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

flamingpig0

QuoteThanks. That made interesting reading. Actually, when it comes to banning parasitic treatment of melodies stolen from real composers, I'm right behind them.

I am still struggling to see how Ken Dodd can be viewed as the sort of dangerous subversive whose songs need to be banned.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James