The One True Scale online discussion

Started by paulr, 10 May 2022, 08:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What time would you prefer the online discussion to be? (you may vote for one or both options)

8-10pm (UK time)
6 (85.7%)
9-11pm (UK time)
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: 07 June 2022, 08:35:24 PM

paulr

Leon has kindly agreed to join an online discussion on the evening of 11 June (UK time). He will be discussing these topics:
  • UK show scene / post-Covid
  • State of Wargaming businesses (sale/closing of Timecast and Epsilon, as well as Front Rank, ERM and potentially others...)
  • Challenges of publishing rules
  • New shop and games room
  • Impact of Covid on gaming and buying habits
  • Requests/popular ranges
plus answering questions.

We would welcome suggestions for questions either in this thread or via PM. We may even have time for some live questions on the night.

If you would like to join us for the discussion please PM your email address to me. This will give us an indication of how many want to attend and allow us to email you the meeting invitation.

We will be using Webex for the meeting which you will be able to join from your browser. Let us know if you have any questions about the meeting.

We will be holding a poll at the end of May to decide the start time.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Are Timecast closing?

I might need to dip in for some additional terrain.

paulr

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

steve_holmes_11

QuoteSteve, see this thread for more info on Timecast https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,21597.0.html
Thanks.

I was in hospital for surgery that day.
Clearly missed some big news.

Sean Clark

Timecast hopefully will find a buyer.

Front Rank are now owned by Gripping Beast so still around and I think Alec is intending to still do the Sculpting without the pressure of running the business. Seeing as the asking price was somewhat over £200k, I can only assume Gripping Beast are doing pretty well at the moment.

I think ERM was due to retirement. As regards how the hobby is doing, it will be interesting to hear from Leon's perspective as I know most companies did OK during the pandemic, but with the global downturn and rise in cost of living expenses there may well be a knock on with disposable income.
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

John Cook

Quote from: Sean Clark on 10 May 2022, 01:00:57 PMAs regards how the hobby is doing, it will be interesting to hear from Leon's perspective as I know most companies did OK during the pandemic, but with the global downturn and rise in cost of living expenses there may well be a knock on with disposable income.

In general terms I think that the prices of energy and metal are two significant issues for the foreseeable future.  Prices are bound to go up I think.

steve_holmes_11

ERM was a combination of retirement / ill health.

I don't think three closures / sales should be read as a crisis in the business.
Consider the profile of the typical hobby-serving business; often a hobbyist himself (herself) working as a "side hustle".
Such one man bands are liable to closure due to any number of circumstances.

The time to be worried is if established businesses similar Front Rank or Timecast are unable to find buyers.

toxicpixie

I was surprised at the news on 4Ground - given how they were producing lots of stuff for smaller designers/ranges, and seeing people always buying their stuff at shows and in blog posts I assumed they were solid!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

I Think the problem with some of the companies is they get sold to US companies and become harder/more expensive to obtain.

Quote from: John Cook on 10 May 2022, 01:52:53 PMIn general terms I think that the prices of energy and metal are two significant issues for the foreseeable future.  Prices are bound to go up I think.

Yes, I think we as the customers need to be willing to pay more to keep companies viable, if we want them to be there in the future. Wargaming is essentially a cheap hobby. More so if we only bought what we were actually going to get on he table within 12 months. :) (well certainly in my case)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Really looking forward to this!  With the shows all missing during Covid I think I've missed chatting to folks properly.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Thanks to those who have already let me know they want to join the discussion

If you are interested in joining us please PM me

We are still interested in suggestions for questions

QuoteLeon has kindly agreed to join an online discussion on the evening of 11 June (UK time). He will be discussing these topics:
  • UK show scene / post-Covid
  • State of Wargaming businesses (sale/closing of Timecast and Epsilon, as well as Front Rank, ERM and potentially others...)
  • Challenges of publishing rules
  • New shop and games room
  • Impact of Covid on gaming and buying habits
  • Requests/popular ranges
plus answering questions.

We would welcome suggestions for questions either in this thread or via PM. We may even have time for some live questions on the night.

If you would like to join us for the discussion please PM your email address to me. This will give us an indication of how many want to attend and allow us to email you the meeting invitation.

We will be using Webex for the meeting which you will be able to join from your browser. Let us know if you have any questions about the meeting.

We will be holding a poll at the end of May to decide the start time.

paulr

With 11 June rapidly approaching I've added a poll to decide the start time of the online discussion

If you are planning to join us please PM me with your email address, so we can send you the invitation

You can vote for your preferred time or for both if you don't have a preference

Genom

Will there be an option to access it afterwards?

paulr

Hi Andy, this is a live event and we aren't planning to record it