Aid trip to Poland and Ukraine.

Started by Orcs, 09 May 2022, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Hi All,

Leon has kindly let me post this report about the aid convoys I have been involved with taking aid to Poland and the Ukraine.

I have been involved with sending and taking humanitarian aid to those in need for many years. Recently I was asked to assist in taking aid to Poland and Ukraine by Aid Ukraine Direct.  The organisation seeks to respond directly to those in desperate need. They work with local contacts so that there are no middlemen and the aid gets quickly to where it is needed.

The first trip was organised in under a week, we left at 2 am on Monday morning and took the ferry across from Calais. The convoy consisted of three 7.5 tonne lorries and a van with 8 drivers. Driving in shifts and sleeping in the cab we got to South-East Poland late on Tuesday evening. We delivered much needed food, clothing and sleeping bags to three separate places that were helping around 800 refugees on a daily basis. The refugees were being housed in people's homes, on church floors and in a Sports Centre.

Church converted to a dormitory                        Two pews made into bed

We also visited a refuge for traumatised women and children, buying beds and bedding so they did not have to sleep on the floor. We found they needed further assistance with converting a barn into accommodation so they could help more families.

Me in the Cab                               Refugees at the refuge                                    Converting the Barn

At the refuge, we met a Pastor who was involved in getting aid directly into Ukraine to Kharkiv and beyond. His volunteers often had to wear flak jackets and brave Russian sniper fire to deliver the aid. Supporting people like this is one of the key aims of the organisation.

From talking to the Pastor we quickly identified urgent needs in the eastern part of Ukraine where most of the fighting was taking place.  Primarily the need was for water filters as people had no running water and they were collecting water from puddles, ponds or wherever they could find it. The second need was for power to charge mobile phones.

From this I was asked to lead a second trip to take water filters, generators, charging equipment and food. We took two 4x4s with 3.5-tonne trailers. This load cost over £40,000 nearly half of which was the 700 water filters, that can filter any filthy water and make it drinkable.

Water filters in the Trailer                                       Trailer two full of food

We were asked by our Polish friends to accompany them across the border to deliver the aid to those who would take it into Kharkiv.  At the border checkpoint, I was stopped for extra checks. Working out what I needed to do and who to speak to, with border guards who spoke no English and all signage in a Cyrillic alphabet was a challenge, to say the least. After 5 hours I was finally through to meet up with the rest of the convoy. While we were unloading the reality of the seriousness of the situation was brought home when two missiles struck a nearby base.

My vehicle ready to go                                          Waiting at The Border                                                             

Ukranian Truck Loaded                                            While we were loading two missiles landed

Due to the situation travel in Ukraine is far safer by day, so the trucks taking our aid further in have to stop as soon as it gets dark, but three days later I received videos from our Ukrainian friends of our aid being unloaded in Kharkiv.

Unloading in Kharkiv

I have been asked to lead a further trip around the end of June, the beginning of July, but the current situation is constantly changing, so any plans have to be very fluid. They are also reliant on getting enough donations to fund the trips.

To find out more or make a donation, take a look at our web page.

https://www.aidukrainedirect.org/

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Orcs

Thank you very much for your help, it has been upsetting to see some of the streets I've walked down, smashed by missiles, bombs, etc. Fortunately most people I know in the north have surfaced without major injuries. Including a septuagenarian soviet Afghan war veteran who says the dodging around to get water and carry it up seven floors took years off him  :) .

I'm channelling my aid through local funds but I'm commending any people to give what they can to your web page.

Слава Україні
Слава героям
Слава помічникам

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

John Cook

Bravo Zulu with bells on.  Very interesting post.  Please keep us informed. 

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Well done! Great that you are getting out there and doing something positive for so many people. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Well done to all involved

Stay as safe as you can Orcs
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

T13A

T13A Out!

DecemDave

Wonderful work.
Bit surprised though by the large "cut" that GoFundMe ask for.

toxicpixie

QuoteWonderful work.

They don't take any cut automatically - You should be able to set a voluntary "tip" of between 0% and 30% tho depending on if you want to keep them going or hope other people will - I was about to add a screenshot with the donation page admin tip slider but I can't work out how!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice one Orcs. 8) so impressed people will do this sort of thing.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Quote from: DecemDave on 10 May 2022, 08:53:38 AMWonderful work.

Thanks for your generous donation.

I must admit until you said this, I did not know what percentage the Go Fund me site was asking for, as any donations I have made direct. Your right, It is pushing the boundary somewhat

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Thank you all for your interest and donations, I will keep you informed. My biggest problem on doing he trips is fitting them in with working shifts. Obviously the trips cannot revolve around me being avaliable.