18th century basing?

Started by _Dave_, 07 May 2022, 08:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Dave_

I'm figuring out gaming in this era and I'm curious how many figure poses people are mixing on their bases. The march attack and port poses seem like a good fit on the same base, and the same goes for firing snd advancing. What are other people doing?

fred.

I've generally gone for a single pose per base (except command)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

John Cook

I keep to a single pose per base too for my 1745 Rising.  Mixing them just doesn't look right.  I also include command on one of the bases, so that it is roughly in the centre of a line.  I find that about 7mm frontage per figure in the front rank and a depth of 28 mm works.

FierceKitty

I keep to standing and shooting for all musketeers, fusiliers, and grenadiers; dragoons with weapon upright; cuirassiers with sword angled aggressively forward. For the less regular types like hussars and Jaeger I've mixed poses as much as possible. Not only do I like the effects, they also help newbies work out what the cavalry types are.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

I tend to a single pose per base (bar command). I don't use firing poses at all, but I must admit that after painting nearly 5000 march attack poses, I could do with a change.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Given the highly drilled nature of 18th Century warfare one pose per base/unit. Marching poses are probably best but you could use diferent poses to differentiate units.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Glorfindel

I feel like I should apologise for bucking the trend here !   I have gone for a 'march attack' back line and an 'advancing' front line.   As much as anything, this is because I really like both figures (and they are so nice to paint up).   Although I'm happy with the look, if starting again now, I would probably go for 'march attack'.   Phil

T13A

Hi

For my Seven Years War armies I have gone for having the same pose all on one base:

I did try having one pose in the front rank and another in the rear rank but it just didn't work for me.

For my (Covid) American War of Independence (AWI) 'project' I have used the same pose for each base, however the packs come with figures having slightly different poses:

Firing (The grenadiers on the right are in the march attack pose):

And marching:

I much prefer having the figures in slightly different poses as in the AWI range and really wish that the SYW range could be re-modelled and brought up to the superb standard of the AWI range. For me the idea that the drilled nature of 18th century warfare means that every figure should be in the same pose should be left for horse guards parade and not for real battlefields. Even 'volley fire' broke down after a couple of volleys and meant that idividuals were firing at different rates. Just my own opinion of course.

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My 1745 Scots are all irregular poses, and my Government troops are regular.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My AWI are regular, unless they are militia which are all over the place!  ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: T13A on 08 May 2022, 06:57:50 PMHi

For my Seven Years War armies I have gone for having the same pose all on one base:

I did try having one pose in the front rank and another in the rear rank but it just didn't work for me.

For my (Covid) American War of Independence (AWI) 'project' I have used the same pose for each base, however the packs come with figures having slightly different poses:

Firing (The grenadiers on the right are in the march attack pose):

And marching:

I much prefer having the figures in slightly different poses as in the AWI range and really wish that the SYW range could be re-modelled and brought up to the superb standard of the AWI range. For me the idea that the drilled nature of 18th century warfare means that every figure should be in the same pose should be left for horse guards parade and not for real battlefields. Even 'volley fire' broke down after a couple of volleys and meant that idividuals were firing at different rates. Just my own opinion of course.

Cheers Paul

You're right, of course. But I have a feeling that if Frederick or Haddik painted a wargames army for their wars, they  might very possibly go for the single pose approach too (note the choice of modal verb, and bear in mind that I select such things with care). I actually very much like the appearance of near-uniformity, indicating an attempt to do things by the drill book, but also the effect of real terrain, eroding discipline, and mounting casualties. Most of my hoplite units are something like that, with spears in about the same pose (a phalanx would lose half its strength without this), but showing signs of individual choice of equipment in helmets or cuirasses. Would I do that with Mollendorf's guards? Probably not, admittedly.

John Cook

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 May 2022, 02:15:36 AMYou're right, of course. But I have a feeling that if Frederick or Haddik painted a wargames army for their wars, they  might very possibly go for the single pose approach too (note the choice of modal verb, and bear in mind that I select such things with care). I actually very much like the appearance of near-uniformity, indicating an attempt to do things by the drill book, but also the effect of real terrain, eroding discipline, and mounting casualties. Most of my hoplite units are something like that, with spears in about the same pose (a phalanx would lose half its strength without this), but showing signs of individual choice of equipment in helmets or cuirasses. Would I do that with Mollendorf's guards? Probably not, admittedly.

I applaud your attention to syntax but I wonder if 'single pose' might benefit from a hyphen, for example 'single-pose approach'?  I seem to have something stuck in my cheek so I'll sign-off. 

FierceKitty

kustenjaeger

For me it is one pose (exc command) usually March attack for one battalion of a regiment and Marching for the other. My battalions are 4 bases of 6 figures on a 25x20mm base. Cavalry are 3 figures to a 25x25mm base. Light foot troops are 3 figures to a 25x20mm base in firing and/or mixed poses if possible.

Edward

paulr

Quote from: Glorfindel on 08 May 2022, 09:59:32 AMI feel like I should apologise for bucking the trend here !   I have gone for a 'march attack' back line and an 'advancing' front line.   As much as anything, this is because I really like both figures (and they are so nice to paint up).   Although I'm happy with the look, if starting again now, I would probably go for 'march attack'.   Phil

If it works for you no need to apologise
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!