ECW infantry flags

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 12 April 2022, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well...
Today's question.
Iain at Flags of War has kindly rescaled his 28mm ECW flags to 15mm for me.
Before I commit any cardinal sins (again)..?
Can I put both flags in an ECW unit?
Ta
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

The number of flags you decide to include in any miniature unit, regardless of scale, is almost entirely aesthetic. The common theory is a full strength ECW regiment would have 10 flags, a double strength unit, such as Newcastle's or Manchester's might have as many as 20. However, rarely would so many be carried in the field. Richard Symond's diary records the royalist flags he observed during his service with the King's army in 1644. They vary in numbers per formation, and a number seem to include flags from more than one regiment being borne in a single battalia.  The simple answer to your question is yes, but give them a decent number of troops as a colour guard!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thank you sir.
Unfortunately in 15mm ReG that's 24 figures in the unit total!  :'(
Now if I was in 10mm there would be 60 figures, which always looks cooler!  8) 
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Two in a unit of 24 should look splendid!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

Just make sure they have different numbers of devices or flames as these denote different companies of the regiment

Or they can be from two different regiments that have been combined into a single battalia

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DHautpol

I like the idea of using plenty of flags and have given my ECW infantry three flags per regiment.  I have grouped them in the front rank of the pike block as I feel it gives the look you see in the prints of the period.

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Having a look at the flags of war site it does look like each one has two different flags in the same style (as previously mentioned to represent different companies). 

So in answer to your question, yes you can use them both.

Duke Speedy of Leighton