Started by Rhys, 02 May 2022, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys

Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

toxicpixie

The Valentine is a very overlooked tank, considering it's service on both physical ends of the war!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

sunjester

Interesting and useful. Thanks for putting a summary together.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Interesting read - one nit pick, the Soviets got 2 M3 1/2 tracks, rest were M5 and M9 - the international harvester varient.  4209 of 1 and 480 of tother roughly.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

QuoteThe Valentine is a very overlooked tank, considering it's service on both physical ends of the war!
Very true.

I used to be one of those types who looked at wargame stat lines and thought. 
"Same speed and gun as the Matilda, less armour and later nito service - why would I bother?"

I've recently seen several tankie vidoes describbing the Valentine's assets.
Very smooth ride - so rather quicker across the ground than other tanks with similar published speeds.
Armour still pretty good at the start of its service, and good enough to fight the Japs throughout the war.
Extremely reliable and easy to fix - kept on running while your Jagtigers and other munchkin transport was abandoned in roadside ditches.

hammurabi70

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 02 May 2022, 09:24:12 PMVery true.

I used to be one of those types who looked at wargame stat lines and thought.
"Same speed and gun as the Matilda, less armour and later nito service - why would I bother?"

I've recently seen several tankie vidoes describbing the Valentine's assets.
Very smooth ride - so rather quicker across the ground than other tanks with similar published speeds.
Armour still pretty good at the start of its service, and good enough to fight the Japs throughout the war.
Extremely reliable and easy to fix - kept on running while your Jagtigers and other munchkin transport was abandoned in roadside ditches.

Useful list.  I understood the Valentine was used by recce units because of the reliability.

We like to flesh out the usual suspects with some variety even though the stats do not vary very much.  Thus you see a few Shermans and Churchills as well as mixing up the Germans with tanks such as the 38t.

toxicpixie

Gragh, connection crashed.

Tl, dr - get a working tank that the crew can use, it'll be better than any "hard stats" monster that's impossible to use/has fallen apart/crippled your crew/broken down already.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Rhys

QuoteInteresting read - one nit pick, the Soviets got 2 M3 1/2 tracks, rest were M5 and M9 - the international harvester varient.  4209 of 1 and 480 of tother roughly.
Sorry about that. In 6mm they all look the same to me on the table.
Delete where applicable.

Have to admit that M3 tends to be the Generic designation for 1/2 tracks. Functionally  M3, M5 and M9 are essentially identical - the M2 is a bit smaller.

Rhys

Second part is up covering British tanks.
Its not intended to be exhausted but to shed a bit of light on the topic for those who might have a passing interest.
Delete where applicable.

Raider4

03 May 2022, 11:28:43 AM #10 Last Edit: 03 May 2022, 11:38:07 AM by Raider4
QuoteHave to admit that M3 tends to be the Generic designation for 1/2 tracks. Functionally  M3, M5 and M9 are essentially identical - the M2 is a bit smaller.
Almost . . . M3/M5 are the larger ones, M2/M9 are the smaller.

Edit: Actually, ignore that. A quick peruse of Wikipedia tells me they're all pretty much the same size. Maybe a foot difference in total length?

It's the fit-out and use that's different. M3 and M5 are early versions of what would become the APC, M2 was initially a prime mover & munitions carrier in artillery units.

pierre the shy

Very informative thanks Rhys  :-bd

I have the M3 Scout car/half track and M 16/17 Lease-Lend options already covered in 6mm Spearhead terms - no I'm not going to do a US/UK equipped Tank Brigade though!
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

sultanbev

A full list of lend-lease weapons sent to Russia is available in the MicroMark collection:
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/219596
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/219597

Mark

Quote from: Raider4 on 03 May 2022, 11:28:43 AMAlmost . . . M3/M5 are the larger ones, M2/M9 are the smaller.

Edit: Actually, ignore that. A quick peruse of Wikipedia tells me they're all pretty much the same size. Maybe a foot difference in total length?

It's the fit-out and use that's different. M3 and M5 are early versions of what would become the APC, M2 was initially a prime mover & munitions carrier in artillery units.

Yes M3/M5/M9 have same size body, M2 is a foot or so shorter and was originally intended as a gun tractor. They were used mostly by the A/T platoon in Armoured Inf platoons and could appear as transport for the MG and Mortar sections, due to their smaller section size.

toxicpixie

Quote from: Rhys on 03 May 2022, 07:48:44 AMSorry about that. In 6mm they all look the same to me on the table.

Damn right. Tbh until you hit big scale at close up the differences are
Mostly invisible!