Frog and scorpion

Started by FierceKitty, 30 April 2022, 08:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

A scorpion comes to the riverbank and asks a frog to carry her over. "You'll sting me and kill me", objects the frog. "No, I'd die too then", she points out. The frog sighs, moves over, and eats the scorpion, who stings him as a last act.
"Why did you do that?", asks a second frog. "You'll die now."
"I know, but at least my story won't be stuck into a hundred narratives that it has no relevance to!"
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

d_Guy

This is why I have great admiration for frogs (except when they remain in a warming pot of water).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

QuoteThis is why I have great admiration for frogs (except when they remain in a warming pot of water).
"While some 19th-century experiments suggested that the underlying premise is true if the heating is sufficiently gradual, according to modern biologists the premise is false: a frog that is gradually heated will jump out.Changing location is a natural thermoregulation strategy for frogs and other ectotherms, and is necessary for survival in the wild." - Wikipedia

Boiling A Frog by Christopher Brookmyre was a popular title when we were looking to replace the local public libraries' computer system and became the default test search as we evaluated potential replacements along with the, alas entirely fictional, Windsurfing For Dogs purportedly written by our head of cataloguing. It was the first time I'd come across the idea that a frog, boiled slowly enough would cook and while I quickly discovered that was not true the underlying idea that the failure to act against a problematic situation will cause it to increase in severity until reaching catastrophic proportions has stayed with me. Indeed it has been on my mind very recently.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

This forum is becoming far too philosophical of late..... :'(  :'(  :'(
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Next you'll be saying they don't turn into princes when kissed. :(  ;D
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Heard of it but never seen it
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

We had a visitor in the garden yesterday

Don't often see frogs - not sure where there are any nearby ponds. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

We have frogs in our and our nighbours front gardens, where there are no ponds. Apparently they only use the ponds to lay their spawn, content most of the time with long grass, shrubs etc.