More Scenario questions

Started by Amra, 23 April 2022, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra

Hi All,
We're enjoying working thru the scenarios but a few rule questions pop up so your help would be appreciated,
Attacking a bunker, the attack by infantry is from the rear. Inside is a Platoon and an AT gun. Do the attackers fight 2 combats or is it against one enemy (with the other counting as support ) ?
Does it count as a rear attack for combat?
I'm guessing no defensive fire ?
First round Attackers are hit on 4s, defenders hit on 6s correct ?

Next , can reserves be brought in under smoke ? Reserves come in after a CO roll , they must be out of sight. The smoke disappears end of the turn, are they able to use it?

Finally, it seems strange the a Command stand isn't suppressed after an overrun . If it survives the only outcome is a move backwards. Am I playing that right ?

Thanks All

Ithoriel

Quote from: Amra on 23 April 2022, 04:43:00 AMFinally, it seems strange the a Command stand isn't suppressed after an overrun . If it survives the only outcome is a move backwards. Am I playing that right ?

It helps if you think of the Command stand as not so much a physical presence and more as a focus of attention.

Oh, for sure, there will be some Rupert (or Ruprecht or whatever) there either making sure the boss's orders are carried out or stupidly/ willfully misinterpreting them! The latter is what Blunder rolls are for.  :)

Blitzkreig Commander is very "top down" and often gets things right but for the wrong reasons, if you see what I mean. I infinitely prefer that to the reverse of taking account of every detail and then delivering the wrong result!

That help any?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Thoughts and comments inserted below:

Quote from: Amra on 23 April 2022, 04:43:00 AMHi All,
We're enjoying working thru the scenarios but a few rule questions pop up so your help would be appreciated,
Attacking a bunker, the attack by infantry is from the rear. Inside is a Platoon and an AT gun. Do the attackers fight 2 combats or is it against one enemy (with the other counting as support ) ?

> only counts as 1 Assault - as you can only assault one enemy unit at a time (with a single friendly unit).

Does it count as a rear attack for combat?

> No - you assault the Bunker from the rear - as that is its only entry point - but the defenders will be facing you.
I'm guessing no defensive fire ?

> why? all defenders get defensive fire - remember - this is not single Bunker but a network of defences & bunker(s) - entrances will be covered with fire-points

First round Attackers are hit on 4s, defenders hit on 6s correct ?

> correct

Next , can reserves be brought in under smoke ? Reserves come in after a CO roll , they must be out of sight. The smoke disappears end of the turn, are they able to use it?

> Technically yes - practically it can difficult to achieve. As it depends who's Smoke screen we are talking about.
E.g.
An friendly FAO rolls for an off-table battery to lay down a Smoke screen - which happen successfully
next a friendly HQ rolls for Reserves and passes the Command roll - the Reserves are deployed within 20cm of the HQ. That can be with the existing Smoke screen. The Smoke screen will last for the whole of the remaining friendly turn and through the next enemy turn before it dissipates/clears.

However, if the Reserves are deployed into an enemy Smoke screen, that will disappear at the end of the friendly players game-turn - thus exposing the Reserves to the enemy. They can of course be shot at or targeted for an initiative action at that point.

Finally, it seems strange the a Command stand isn't suppressed after an overrun . If it survives the only outcome is a move backwards. Am I playing that right ?

Yes, that is correct - as per Ithorial's comments - this is a network, not a single individual - the survival of the over-run potentially reflects the local part of that network getting out of the line of attack before actually getting engaged by the enemy. As Command units need to be up-front in the Commander set of rules (BKC) & more exposed than they would be generally in real life, the Command over-run mechanism is just a means of representing this on the table top. If that makes sense.

Cheers
Mark
Thanks All
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Amra

Thanks everyone, all good
The smoke was an ememy's so it was a question of timing .
Can the bunker be attacked by 2 infantry units simultaneously (one against each defender) or is the assault done one at a time ?