Cavalry standards

Started by fsn, 19 April 2022, 07:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Any chance of some cavalry standards?

Not many regiments carried them (comparatively), but they are considerably smaller than the infantry standards, so you could lots on one sheet. :)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: fsn on 19 April 2022, 07:37:30 PMAny chance of some cavalry standards?

Not many regiments carried them (comparatively), but they are considerably smaller than the infantry standards, so you could lots on one sheet. :)

In 10 mm they would be extremely fiddly.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leon

We've had a few requests for them but I don't think it's financially viable unfortunately.  The design costs would be the same as regular flags but the potential sales are substantially lower, so I'm not sure we can make it work.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

kipt

As I recall I bought flags for my Napoleonic 6mm from Adler.  Might be the correct size for 10mm cavalry.

fsn

Quote from: Leon on 20 April 2022, 12:12:30 AMWe've had a few requests for them but I don't think it's financially viable unfortunately.  The design costs would be the same as regular flags but the potential sales are substantially lower, so I'm not sure we can make it work.
Thanks, Leon. I thought that would be the answer.

Quote from: kipt on 20 April 2022, 12:52:06 AMAs I recall I bought flags for my Napoleonic 6mm from Adler.  Might be the correct size for 10mm cavalry.
Interesting idea.  :-\  Thank you.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

rim66

Hi there,

I get mine from Maverick Models - big selection and great service.  Stuart will resize to any size you want and, if what you want isn't there but you can give him an image, he'll make it for you.  Not associated with the company in any way, just a happy customer of quite a few years.

Hope this helps and it's okay to mention them here,

Richard

sultanbev

Looking at Maverick Models website, there's no need for Pendraken to do napoleonic cavalry flags - they're already covered, along with a smattering of post-Napoleonic 19th century conflicts.

I tend to paint my flags - doesn't anyone else?

Mark

fsn

Sean Clark

Quote from: sultanbev on 21 April 2022, 05:26:14 PMLooking at Maverick Models website, there's no need for Pendraken to do napoleonic cavalry flags - they're already covered, along with a smattering of post-Napoleonic 19th century conflicts.

I tend to paint my flags - doesn't anyone else?

Mark

I'm going more to Google Images and resizing pictures from there for my flags. 5 minutes in MS Paint, and you have passable flags, especially for 6mm and 10mm figures where the detail is that much harder to see.
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

DHautpol

QuoteI'm going more to Google Images and resizing pictures from there for my flags. 5 minutes in MS Paint, and you have passable flags, especially for 6mm and 10mm figures where the detail is that much harder to see.

I do this all the time now. I've found that if flags designed for a larger scale are downsized, then they can sometimes turn out a bit 'muddy'.  Consequently, finding suitable images via Google and then working them up in PAINT works very well for me, especially as I like slightly overscale flags. I created all the flags for my French Revolution 1796 Army of Italy this way.

I also have quite a few Adler 6mm Napoleonics where I have made my own flags.  As the flagpoles are a bit thin, I always replace them with brass rod which makes mounting the flags much easier too. I'm afraid I consider cavalry standards in 6mm as 'out of the question', just the thought of trying to successfully mount a flag 2mm high or less. 
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

If it is Napoleonic you are after, go to the Napflags part of the Warflags site and download what you need, resize them to suit 10mm and print as many as you need.  Reducing them to suit 10mm doesn't affect the quality.  If you can't find what you need for nothing on-line, Flags of War have a comprehensive selection of most periods in 28mm.  All my Jacobite and government colours and standards for the 1745 Rising came from them.  I scanned, saved and downsized them to 10mm and printed them without any reduction of quality.  I suppose printer capability might be an issue but I've a very ordinary Epson ink jet that is so old I can't remember when I bought it, and it works perfectly well.

fsn

I went to Maverick Models (http://www.maverick-models.com/ not https://maverickmodels.co.uk/) for some Russian standards, mostly because they come from Macclesfield.

Great service, nice little flags. I shall be looking to them for the Danes ... and maybe the Swedes... y'know - the bits Pendraken don't do.

Thanks Rim66 for the referral.  :-bd 

fsn

Quote from: John Cook on 26 April 2022, 10:47:58 PMIf it is Napoleonic you are after, go to the Napflags part of the Warflags site and download what you need
Thank you. I've had a look and there's a lot to use here.