80+mm Mortars on table - used much?

Started by Inactive, 19 April 2022, 03:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inactive

Just putting together an order of some bits and pieces I'm missing.  I notice that mortars around the 80mm mark are on table in BKC IV.  Do players find they get much use?  I don't actually own any as playing Battlegroup before BKC IV the only on table 80mm were in M4 HTs.  Happy to add them to my order for both US and German, just don't want to paint stuff to sit in a tin for the rest of their days.  Book hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure if there are 80mm mortars off table? Given their effective firing range and the size of a battlefield on a 6x4 table for BKC it's probably more likely that they will be on table.

Steve J

I alway use them and they are very effective for the Germans, having 3 per Battalion. They can be devastating mind, but then I read recently that something akin to 80% of Allied casualties in Normandy were from mortar and artillery fire.

fred.

Yes, 80mm mortars are on table. And are very effective as they can fire multiple times per turn. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Inactive

Thanks.  I'll add them to the order.  I know they were effective in RL, it's more in game terms I was considering.

Shedman

On-table mortars are very useful especially as they are classed as INDEPENDENT and do not impose a Command penalty for distance.

Inactive

Had a slight change of plan in that I plan to purchase 10mm for BKC (and likely use them for O-Group too) and they may well end up replacing my 15mm so I'll definitely order the mortars.  I'll likely go the Pendraken army pack route with some additions.