CWC in 15mm

Started by Matt o’ the North, 09 May 2022, 10:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt o’ the North

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have some 15mm Cold War figures but I wonder if CWC is good with this scale? Does anyone here use it?

Steve J

Welcome on board Matt!

I've only ever played CWC in 6mm, but did play BKCI/II in 15mm way back when and this was fine. 10mm is my preferred option now for both, but that's just me. I see no reason why you can't play in 15mm and see how you get on. The only 'limit' will be the amount of armour you can field due to the space they take up, but again, not really an issue for smaller scale engagements.

Hope this helps?

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Likewise welcome Matt. Have done BKC in 15mm. Used Platoon commanders as fighting HQ's with all vehicles as individuals and infantry as section bases. Worked well.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Quote from: Matt o' the North on 09 May 2022, 10:50:22 PMHi, I'm new to the forum. I have some 15mm Cold War figures but I wonder if CWC is good with this scale? Does anyone here use it?

Hi Matt, we've played CWC in 15mm fine - as others have said you do need to keep the force structure low or you'll end up squeezed in track to track (unless you've a squash court to play on!).

That said it gives a much more tactical and rewarding game, doubly so once you get loads of terrain down!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Matt o’ the North

Thank you for the advice and the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to the rules arriving, I've played Team Yankee but didn't like them much, felt unrealistic with phalanxes of tanks!

Big Insect

Welcome Matt

15mm will work very well with CWC

As others have said - start with smaller forces and use Orders of Battle (OOBs) to create forces.
Smaller scale conflicts can be a good starting point - such as The Falklands, Grenada etc but also remember this is very much a balanced all-arms game - but you might be best starting to engage with the rules by using a single HQ and c.6 infantry units (+ Transports) + support units and a couple of MBTs a side. I'd also suggest that you look at the Fast-Play optional Recce rules to get started - they use the core Recce mechanism but remove some of the more interesting (but time-consuming) Pathfinding mechanisms.

I've not played Team Yankee (but did play FoW up to v.3) - but CWC works very differently in that if you line your armour up fender-to-fender it will probably end up being a very short, bloody and one-sided game  :'(

Also remember that in 15mm you might want to reduce the ranges and move distances if you are playing on a smaller table. Some of the ATGW weapons have very long ranges - but also (in CWCII) now have minimum 'arming' distances - so space is a prerequisite to get the best out of what can be a very expensive asset.

Whilst CWC has been around a fair time and is loved and well tried & tested - CWCII introduces some changes that will have all the old CWC 'hands' reaching for the rules book as well as you  ;)

Any questions, please dont hesitate to ask the forum - we are a friendly bunch - well most of us are & you'll spot the ones to watch out for but they mainly growl - having had their teeth pulled years ago  ;D

Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Matt o’ the North

Thank you Mark, sound advice. I will experiment. I can see me getting a smaller scale in time. I play 10mm Napoleonics regularly (Pendraken figures of course) and I think the scale is great.

Leon

Hi Matt, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!