Great Northern War; first 10mm wargaming project

Started by collegialhoagie, 16 April 2022, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>

Are the flags removable, the last picture has a 'Danish' flag rather than the white Prins Christians flag
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Those are lovely and the flags look great too.

collegialhoagie

Quote from: paulr on 26 July 2022, 08:34:15 PM:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>

Are the flags removable, the last picture has a 'Danish' flag rather than the white Prins Christians flag

Thanks everyone! Flags are indeed removable, I see no reason for them to be fixed in place as I can change flags for units with the same uniform colours but different flags etcetera  :-\

collegialhoagie

No big write-up today, just some notes and images of the Danish "Livgarden til fods" ( i.e The Royal Foot Guard) with their Paille (hay-yellow) uniforms.

It was a royal guard unit established in 1658, and together with Prins Kristians regiment almost annihilated at Helsingborg. Its commander, Lieutenant colonel Kristian Albrecht Danckwardt, a veteran from service in the Saxon and French army, was killed in the battle. The grim, supposed details of his demise were written down in a soldier's letter (from another regiment) after the battle. He was said to have had both his legs taken off by a cannon ball, but kept on commanding his regiment standing only on his stumps until he was cut down by the enemy while asking for "cavalier's pardon".

paulr

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Only now 'catching up' on your posts (somehow missed the whole topic in my brief forays into the forum) and like what I've seen, so far. Great stuff!  :-bd

p.s. My only reservation is the colour of the metal work on the artillery carriages. The wheel rims have been painted metallic but I'm puzzled why the remaining metal work is painted yellow (especially the reinforcing clasps on the wheel rims)?  :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

collegialhoagie

QuoteOnly now 'catching up' on your posts (somehow missed the whole topic in my brief forays into the forum) and like what I've seen, so far. Great stuff!  :-bd

p.s. My only reservation is the colour of the metal work on the artillery carriages. The wheel rims have been painted metallic but I'm puzzled why the remaining metal work is painted yellow (especially the reinforcing clasps on the wheel rims)? :-\

Thank you Westmarcher :) Short answer is that the yellow paint is the ornamental style swedish artillery was painted in (Same for Denmark, with red carriages with some metal parts ornamentally painted in a subdued yellow). I have based the figures on both gun carriages I've seen in person and from pictures, this one is an artillery piece from 1703:
https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024410078/24-lodigt-eldror
You can see how the clasps probably were painted yellow all around but the parts touching the ground had the paint worn off.

collegialhoagie

Finally back at the workbench, finished a unit of the Sjaellendske landdragoner. I'll have to make a few more bases of this unit as they were split up to fight in the second line on both the Danish left and right flanks.

One of those units that had all odds stacked against them (being created by forced conscription of farmhands who exercised two hours a week on Sundays, supposed to only defend the homeland with cheap equipment and shoddy horses), but performed exemplary on the battlefield.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

QuoteThank you Westmarcher :) Short answer is that the yellow paint is the ornamental style swedish artillery was painted in (Same for Denmark, with red carriages with some metal parts ornamentally painted in a subdued yellow). I have based the figures on both gun carriages I've seen in person and from pictures, this one is an artillery piece from 1703:
https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024410078/24-lodigt-eldror
You can see how the clasps probably were painted yellow all around but the parts touching the ground had the paint worn off.

Great! Thanks for that!  :-bd

p.s. Like your latest unit of horse also.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

collegialhoagie

As vacation is over for this year I have paradoxically more time in the evenings for painting.
Some new additions since last update:

Bülows ungarske dragonregiment/Bülow's hungarian dragoons was quite an interesting unit with a lot of conflicting information concerning their uniforms and outlook. I'm basically just painting them as Örjan Martinsson on Tacitus.nu depicts them, although there's an argument they may have worn swords and caps in "hungarian style" with a danish/austrian/"western" coat. I considered if I should represent them with a different code(LOA hussars?) but eventually settled with SYW austrian dragoons. One doesn't always have to go with the more "interesting" alternative.  ;D

Finally Dronningens livregiment, the unit standing to the left of the Danish Life guard, apparently a veteran unit but still the first in the infantry centre to break at Helsingborg.