Great Northern War; first 10mm wargaming project

Started by collegialhoagie, 16 April 2022, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Lovely work there and I too put a small black dot at the end of the cannon.

collegialhoagie

Ah thanks for pointing out, I completely forgot, Looks much better now! Went back and tidied up some excess blue that didn't even see before taking the pictures.

Putting some more pictures in my blog I just started, will mostly be GNW 10mm but occasionally some 15mm wwII stuff.
https://historyandwargaming.blogspot.com/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

collegialhoagie

I decided to post this image of the units on the work bench for people to see how the swedish cavalry in tricon(GNS5) and the marlburian Mounted command (MAL13) blends together, and I havent't really seen GNS5 painted up while I researched the range. Maybe it could be useful for someone.

While the Marlburian figures are slightly chonkier than the GNS5 they blend well enough on the base for my standards. I must also say that even if the great nothern war range seems older I absolutely love the dynamic posing, they really catch the swedish cavalry wedge charging with cold steel.
If I could request a standard bearer with a clean flag pole I would be 100% happy with the swedish cavalry range.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

collegialhoagie

Thanks for the kind words :)

Here's the unit based and finished! I've changed up the basing process a little bit, I was never happy with the stones, I overused them and should probably have bought a finer grain. No I just sprinkle a few of them on the wood glue before I dip the base in the flock. I think it's an improvement.

Östgöta kavalleriregemente
Was a cavalry regiment originally set up in 1636, becoming indelt in 1689 drawing croft soldiers from the province of Östergötland. As part of the royal army it took part in the battles of Kliszow 1702, Warsawa 1705, Holowczyn 1708 and lost to the last man at Poltava. It was reraised and positioned under Lieutenant general Burenskiöld on the swedish left flank in the battle of Helsingborg 1710.

paulr

:-bd  =D> :-bd

Looking good

Is it just me or does the changed basing process let the figure bases show a bit more :-\
(Left and center bases in the first two pictures)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

collegialhoagie

Quote from: paulr on 19 May 2022, 09:08:46 AM:-bd  =D> :-bd

Looking good

Is it just me or does the changed basing process let the figure bases show a bit more :-\
(Left and center bases in the first two pictures)

Hmm maybe, although the base on swedish cavalry is quite a bit more pronounced and thicker than the malburian dragoons I painted before.

I'm ususally doing one or two passes with wood glue around the base to smooth it out a bit, letting it dry before I apply the flock. I find it acceptable for now at least, I don't want to fiddle around with filler or modeling paste on this scale. Maybe I'll try one more pass with wood glue next time. Still learning what works in 10mm scale.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

paulr

Quote...I find it acceptable for now at least, I don't want to fiddle around with filler or modeling paste on this scale. Maybe I'll try one more pass with wood glue next time. Still learning what works in 10mm scale.

The main thing is what works for you

Hopefully my observations have been constructive help as you asked for when starting this thread
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

They look cracking!

On the basing maybe just try a bit thicker wood glue between the figures, might bulk out the sand a bit more. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

Those are really nice. I really like how you have obviously done your research on the unit's history  :-bd

Basing is a reasonably personal choice, so as others have said do it however suits you.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.