MDF bases storage solutions?

Started by mmcv, 26 March 2022, 08:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

What are you all using to store your MDF bases?

Thus far I've been mostly keeping them in their bags and piling into a small plastic box but there has to be a better way than rummaging around in that every time, especially when they keep spilling out of the bags!

Any good solutions?

fsn

Mine are in A4 filing trays. I empty smaller bags into larger bags (as received in bulk order) and keep them in size order. So I know that this tray has 10x30, then 20x30, 30x30 ... to 60x30 - bigger ones at the back. 

A second drawer has circular and individual bases.

No problems.  :D 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

My solution is simple, anyone can do the same.

I keep MDF bases in zip lock bags, they often come in one. I mark their dimensions on the bag with a large sharpie. I make sure the bags are closed properly.

I must have several hundred bases in storage as I always buy twice as many as I think I need therefore always having the right ones to hand.

Simple.
My Ego forbids a signature.

fred.

Mine are in a desk drawer.

Big clear bag for each of rectangular, circular and plastic.

Then within in the smaller bags they come in. For the two main sizes I use (30 and 40mm squares) I have separate bulk bags of them.

It can take a bit of rummaging but not usually too much.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

Ziplock bags (I like to rummage).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Order of heap, except the 40x20 ones. The circular ones are separate from the squares and rectangles but the plastic and MDF are all mixed together.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Certainly the big bag bulk buys are much easier to keep organised than the mix of little ones. Sounds like baggies are still the main way. Might try and rummage for some bigger bags and use them to organise the smaller bags together. 

jambo1

You may not want to follow my advice, mine are in every drawer in the house and in no particular order, loads lying on my painting station and in boxes stashed all over the house! :)

Orcs

Mine wre in one of those storage boxes used for screws etc. with thw sizes labled on each section.

The extras are in an A$ box file in my Den
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

QuoteMine wre in one of those storage boxes used for screws etc. with thw sizes labled on each section.

The extras are in an A$ box file in my Den

I was thinking that as I use something like that for basing material, though the one I have is too small for much by way of bases, would need a fairly large one.

For the moment I've sorted through the box, returned the bases to their bags, labelled them properly and piled them up in sections for different shapes. Will just need to get some bigger bags to store those in.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

QuoteFar far to organised !!
You say that but this is because my hobby area has become so cluttered I haven't space to paint or game so working my way through sorting it a bit to give myself some room. 

Though I did get sidetracked starting to build a model house with some MDF bases and adding some coffee stirrer cladding. I have been stymied though by being unable to find my pile of card and suchlike for the roof. 

Alas the tidy must continue tomorrow.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A small, yellow, filing basket...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sultanbev

I use the plastic cases from Deagostini 1/72 tank models, placed upside down and put together on a shelf in the cellar. Each box contains one base size. Empty margerine cartons would work as well, once you've eaten enough margerine.....

toxicpixie

Cardboard box next to my desk, filled with innumerable baggies of different sized bases, where hopefully the little stickers have stayed stuck on...

Or not, leading to much... that's a 30*20... no, 25*20... no, it's a 30*15... wait...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting