First game of Cold War Commander

Started by Sean Clark, 25 March 2022, 06:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

I had the pleasure of visiting my good firend of many years, Barry Evans, yesterday for a game of CWC. He has a lovely collection of soviet and U.S. forces and he set up a game based in the deserts of the middle east. As the U.S. I had to hold a small town with a forward recce formation with lots of Humvee's with TOW's and infantry, against a horde of Soviet tanks and SPG's. I had reinforcements coming on but they were down the other end of the table and a long way off.

Looking back we got some rules wrong. Barry's off table artillery fired with gay abandon upon the town the eventually stonked my recce into oblivion. Reading the rules, they can't fire more than once per turn and should have been limited in their number of fire missions.  ;D

Still, we got the tank v tank fighting right and my M1's eventually got to grips with the T72's and T64's. Quality held out over quantity, but by the end of the game the Soviets were well ensconced in the town and I had little to launch a counter attack.

The most important thing, despite fumbling with the rules throughout, was that we had a good time and laughed ourselves silly. Barry made a great pizza too.

It has really cemented my interest in these rules and their derivatives. The command system is elegant and intiuative. The shooting is easy to pick up and the bits we got wrong were all our fault due to not reading the rules properly or misinterpreting them.

Roll on 22nd May for the release of CWC2!
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Leon

That's great to hear, glad you enjoyed them!  The new version should fine tune a few areas rather than larger changes so should be a natural progression from CWC-1.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toxicpixie

Good stuff - looking forward to CWC2 as well :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting