BKC Breakpoint modifier for Tactical Doctrine

Started by balagan, 23 March 2022, 09:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balagan

I'm confused about where to apply the breakpoint modifiers for tactical doctrine.

Rigid tactical doctrine gets +1 to breakpoint per 1000 points. So if I have a OOB with 2565 points. This would get a +2 to the breakpoint from being Rigid doctrine.

The example OOB has 65 units. Of those units 59 units count towards the breakpoint.  So calculated breakpoint levels could be:
100%: 59 (theoretical only)
50%: 30
33%: 20
25%: 15
(A particular scenario could use 50%, 33% or 25% breakpoints)

I'm not sure which of those breakpoint numbers to apply the +2 modifier to.  Do I apply it to
1. the original total (59 + 2 = 61, which would then affect the percentage used in a scenario) 
2. the percentage used in a scenario (e.g. for 33% the calculation is 20 + 2 = 22)?

Steven

henjed

Hi, Steven, I've always taken it as adding the number on to (or subtracting the number from, for flexible doctrine forces) the number of units you need to reach the breakpoint - so in a "50% scenario", based on the figures you give above, you (a rigid force) would have to lose (or cause the rigid enemy to lose) 32 rather than 30 units.

Big Insect

Quote from: balagan on 23 March 2022, 09:19:36 AMI'm confused about where to apply the breakpoint modifiers for tactical doctrine.

Rigid tactical doctrine gets +1 to breakpoint per 1000 points. So if I have a OOB with 2565 points. This would get a +2 to the breakpoint from being Rigid doctrine.

The example OOB has 65 units. Of those units 59 units count towards the breakpoint.  So calculated breakpoint levels could be:
100%: 59 (theoretical only)
50%: 30
33%: 20
25%: 15
(A particular scenario could use 50%, 33% or 25% breakpoints)

I'm not sure which of those breakpoint numbers to apply the +2 modifier to.  Do I apply it to
1. the original total (59 + 2 = 61, which would then affect the percentage used in a scenario) 
2. the percentage used in a scenario (e.g. for 33% the calculation is 20 + 2 = 22)?

Steven

Hi there
To answer your question - you always add the +2 BP (for Rigid Tac Doc +1 per 1,000pts) at the end of any modification for specific scenarios.
So your calculate the scenario calculation based on the base units on the army - in this case it is 59 eligible units - it is that number that is divided for the scenario. Once that is done, then you add the +2 for Rigid. This is the same for Flexible Tac.Doc. etc.

Hope that helps?
Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

My apologies I answered quickly - without the rule book in-front of me.

The fully correct answers (which differ from my previous ones) are below:

Page 57 OBJECTIVES
"All scenarios have objectives, which include breaking the opposing battlegroup, capturing terrain features or breaking through enemy lines. Certain objectives involve calculating either 25%, 33% or 50% of a battlegroup.
Simply count the numbers of units on the table, excluding command units, recce units, and soft-skinned transport units, then divide this number to 4 for 25%, three for 33% and two for 50%, rounding up.

Where an objective is to capture a terrain feature such as a hill, you must position three infantry units and one command unit (CO or HQ) on the terrain feature. These must all be unsuppressed at the end of your opponent's next turn for the objective to be secured, at which time the game will end. "

Where the Scenario (as in 5 & 6) requires a section of the table to be controlled, treat that section of the table as if it was a terrain piece (as above).

So the Tactical Doctrine of your army has no effect on the Scenario percentages.
This is because it is about the % of the units not about the army break-point in total (the two are different).

In addition, and for clarity, I would add that if there are any unsuppressed enemy units on the terrain objective or  the section of the table needing to be controlled, other than Command units, Recce or Soft-skinned vehicles. The objective remains contested.

I'd also rule that Recce Support units can only count as occupying or contesting a terrain objective, if they have all spent their previous turn in their Infantry unit mode, not as Recce.

Hope that helps?

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.