WW1 Germans for Nik Harwood

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 22 March 2022, 10:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poggle

Lovely work!  :-bd  I'm another tempted by WW1 and ITLSU.

mmcv

QuoteLovely work!  :-bd  I'm another tempted by WW1 and ITLSU.
On chatting to my parents who have been doing a lot of family history I have a few relatives who fought (and some who died) in the conflict. Very tempted by the period. My great grandad on my mum's side was at Gallipoli and Palestine. My dad's great uncle was killed in the Kaiserschlacht. There are a few more leads as well for other distant relatives. Even though I never met them (I knew my great grandmother but my great grandfather died before I was born) the family connections are interesting. I'd previously been a little uneasy on gaming the period for a variety of reasons, but the more I've read and learned on it the more interested I am and seeing it more as a tribute to those who fought it.

paulr

Quote from: mmcv on 02 April 2022, 08:50:53 PM...the family connections are interesting. I'd previously been a little uneasy on gaming the period for a variety of reasons, but the more I've read and learned on it the more interested I am and seeing it more as a tribute to those who fought it.

That was very much our experience as well

We managed to mainly coincide with the WWI Centennial
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 03 April 2022, 01:19:35 AMThat was very much our experience as well

We managed to mainly coincide with the WWI Centennial

Yes it certainly was. I am very glad Paul R and I decided to run with the ITLSU rules for opening moves 1914 and Middle Eastern games and use Pendraken WW1 10mm figures in what was my first foray into 10mm back in 2014. Loved the period and 10mm ever since.

I do feel a little more connected with the preriod as both my Grandfathers fought in France (and were both fortunate enough to survive). After WW1 one went back to being the head legal clerk of a Edinburgh law firm while the other stayed in the Army for another 40 odd years.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.