WW1 Germans for Nik Harwood

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 22 March 2022, 10:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nik asked me to paint his WW1 Germans, so with a spare five minutes in my schedule, here they are.

An infantry unit with machine gun stand

Yes, I did do cuffs, collars, facings, tail piping, trouser seams and helmet numbers!

Top view

But where one goes, they do not go alone. All six units of infantry

Not bad since I only started them last Monday

Top view

Because they would not fit in the light box with their infantry, all six machine gun attachements

Do not want to be down range of that

Uhlans with attached machine guns

Fun fact I did not know, German cavalry used tubular steel lances in WW1!

The line

Player's view

German gun line

Gunners being busy

Top view

Spot the deliberate mistake?

Nik and I realised the gun shields are on backwards (Nik blamed a 'Red Wine incident'), I tried to take them apart but they were stuck fast!

Commanders (I know it's terribly unhistoric, but the temptation to do a couple of uncovered Pucklehaubs was too much)

Back of the commanders
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Impressive...I am sorely tempted by the Great War  :-\

paulr

The Pendraken ranges are very very nice and I can strongly recommend ITLSU by TooFatLardies :d
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

QuoteThe Pendraken ranges are very very nice and I can strongly recommend ITLSU by TooFatLardies :d
I actually picked up a copy of the Lardies' Western front rules, Through the Mud and the Blood recently as well as a copy of Great War Spearhead last year  :-SS

Though ITLSU will probably get looked at in the not too distant future too, though will see how I get on with my SP2 project I've just sat down to continue basing to see if I like their rules!

Shecky

Looking good. I like the "player's view". I often wonder why I spend so much time painting a figure when all I see of my forces is the backsides.

fred.

QuoteI actually picked up a copy of the Lardies' Western front rules, Through the Mud and the Blood recently as well as a copy of Great War Spearhead last year  :-SS

Though ITLSU will probably get looked at in the not too distant future too, though will see how I get on with my SP2 project I've just sat down to continue basing to see if I like their rules!
All 3 sets of rules are at very different representative scales. But you can play ITLSU and GWSH with pretty much the same figures - although you will probably have a lot more artillery in a GWSH game. TTMAB is skirmish level, so pretty much wants individual based figures - and proper 3d trenches. I've toyed with this, but if feels all a bit fiddly in 10mm. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

QuoteLooking good. I like the "player's view". I often wonder why I spend so much time painting a figure when all I see of my forces is the backsides.
This is very true - I've occasionally lent my figures to my opponent, and then you get to see the front of your own army - it looks so much better!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno 3

I'll do this later

DecemDave

QuoteThis is very true - I've occasionally lent my figures to my opponent, and then you get to see the front of your own army - it looks so much better!
Given my dice rolling I often see the front of  my routing troops.  :D

mmcv

QuoteAll 3 sets of rules are at very different representative scales. But you can play ITLSU and GWSH with pretty much the same figures - although you will probably have a lot more artillery in a GWSH game. TTMAB is skirmish level, so pretty much wants individual based figures - and proper 3d trenches. I've toyed with this, but if feels all a bit fiddly in 10mm.

Yeah I'm trying out Sharp Practice with 10mm individual figures at the moment to see if its too fiddly or not for that skirmish level, then will see how that translates into other rules. I like the idea of the smaller scale Great War actions a little more than the huge battles, at least for the Western Front. Think larger battles would be more interesting in the more mobile fronts. I remember seeing someone do an impressive looking Battle of Tannenberg not too long ago and then ITLSU opens up a lot of Middle East options.

paulr

Quote from: mmcv on 23 March 2022, 10:58:06 AM...then ITLSU opens up a lot of Middle East options.
We have used ITLSU very successfully for the early mobile battles on the Western Front
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

QuoteWe have used ITLSU very successfully for the early mobile battles on the Western Front
Well okay if you insist, the pdf is only £8... Some reading for me tonight.

Titivillus

The "Play the Game" supplement on the TFL website has lots of material for If the Lord Spares Us, including ideas for using it for the Western Front or East Africa.
2022 Painting Competition - Winner!

mmcv

QuoteThe "Play the Game" supplement on the TFL website has lots of material for If the Lord Spares Us, including ideas for using it for the Western Front or East Africa.
Thanks for this, I noted it also has a blend of the Chain of Command rules with Mud & Blood to balance out some of the more dated aspects of those rules and a bunch of useful scenarios so picked it up as well.