Skirmish game basing?

Started by mmcv, 16 March 2022, 10:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

I'm putting together a small project for some gunpowder skirmishing that I plan to take on a test run with Sharpe Practice (and possibly other Sunkist rules). Units are typically 6 or 8 men with a few separate officers.

Initially I'm doing this just matching the units man for man but wondering if people have experience of basing on small numbers. The skirmishing troops I can do with a 3-2-1 style basing in round bases but the regulars would look wrong with that irregular approach. 

Figure removal is required by the rules (could track with dice but want to try it out properly) so need a way to ensure I can represent this.

I'm thinking either a 40x10 rectangular base with 4 men then 4 10x10 bases with one man each (maybe stick two together as a 2 man base) or have two 40x10 with 3 men each then two 10x10 with one each just based on what I have available.

Anyone any experience doing something like this or any wisdom on representing regulars neatly while keeping them flexible?

Officers in thinking just hex bases in different sizes to represent their level and status.

fred.

Definitely do some dry runs of the basing options before you commit. I think 10x10mm squares will be too small and fiddly. Even 40x10mm might be a bit small, Epic bases are 40x12mm and they are OK with little 6mm figures on.

I've done 30x15mm bases with 2 figures on - worked OK. 

For 3-2-1 basing, I went with round bases

And think you can get a reasonable firing line together (perhaps not that will shown in these photos).

Something distinctive basing wise for Officers makes sense. And I wish I'd thought of that!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Sean Clark

I have a pile of Vietnam that I intend to use with Charlie Don't Surf. I think I'll nab the '3,2,1' idea. 👍
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

mmcv

Looking good Fred. What sizes are those bases for the 3-2-1 rounds? 

Another option I was considering was going for individual basing with some sort of sabot but could be quite fiddly at this size. 

I do plan to experiment a bit but just wanted to ask in case I've missed any tricks that people may have.

paulr

A couple variation on the 3,2,1 basing that occurred to me while looking at Fred's picture using squares and a rectangular sabot
use a 3x2 grid of squares, base 3 on an L shape, 2 in row and a single

Or 3 in a row, 2 in a row and a single

Using a sabot makes moving the unit less fiddly :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

I did Sharp Practice with 20mm square bases of 4x10mm figs standing in for each 28mm fig the rules expect.

mmcv

QuoteA couple variation on the 3,2,1 basing that occurred to me while looking at Fred's picture using squares and a rectangular sabot

use a 3x2 grid of squares, base 3 on an L shape, 2 in row and a single

Or 3 in a row, 2 in a row and a single

Using a sabot makes moving the unit less fiddly :-\

Regulars are generally 8 figures for these rules so I'd probably want 2 ranks of 4. The skirmishers are generally 6 figures but I'm okay with them being a bit more scattered on round bases.

For the regulars I was thinking something like this:

i.e. a row of 4, a row of 2 then two individual-based ones.

Alternatively something like this:

i.e two rows of 3 then two individual-based ones. If I magnetise the bases I could use a simple ferrous strip as a sabot then. Now that I think on it actually have some 12.5 mm magnetic tape somewhere, that might work nicely for regular bases as can cut to length as needed.

So similar to what you were saying though with a couple of extras. I know some other rules use 10 or 12 figures so if I want to try them either of those can easily enough be extended to allow for a few additional troops with the addition of some 2 strips.

QuoteI did Sharp Practice with 20mm square bases of 4x10mm figs standing in for each 28mm fig the rules expect.
I think longer-term if I like the rule I may do something similar for some projects, though being able to play on a small table quickly is quite appealing if I don't find the 1:1 too fiddly.

mmcv

17 March 2022, 07:11:27 PM #7 Last Edit: 30 March 2022, 12:30:19 PM by Leon
Here's what I have so far. For the skirmishing troops of six figures a standard 3-2-1:

For the regulars I'm between this 3-3-1-1 on a 40x20

And this 4-2-1-1 on a 50x25

I'm leaning towards the latter as being a bit less fiddly size wise and if I can cut the magnetic tape neatly enough I can pretty much use it as the base (though probably with a little card over the adhesive strip). Though either arrangement configuration would work.

fred.

The round bases I used are 15mm, 20mm and 25mm. I think I went up a size or so for the single based ones. I have used 12mm washers in the past for single 10mm figures.

I used 25mm, 30mm and 40mm for cavalry. 

mmcv I like the ones on the black magnetic tape - I think they will be a bit easier to manage. And using a metal (or magnetic) sabot base sounds a good idea. Then you have a mini single base unit to move around.

QuoteI did Sharp Practice with 20mm square bases of 4x10mm figs standing in for each 28mm fig the rules expect.

I do like the idea of this - and have pondered something similar for Saga as it would look good - but you end up needing to paint a lot of figures! Going 1:1 with 10mm figures lets you get a force done quickly - and very cheaply. 

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

One thing to think about is how the units will look as they suffer casualties :-\

For example if they have lost 2 figures would 2 ranks of 3 look better than a rank of 4 and a rank of 2...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

QuoteOne thing to think about is how the units will look as they suffer casualties :-\

For example if they have lost 2 figures would 2 ranks of 3 look better than a rank of 4 and a rank of 2...

Very true, though I had imagined keeping the front rank as intact as possible. Two rows of three would look better, but from a firing line perspective you want to keep your front row intact and fill the gaps by stepping forward from the back row.

Probably the bigger consideration is if using sabots should I just individual base the regulars then I don't need to worry about swapping figures on and off the sabots to make the right numbers fit. As the sabots take the place of the ease of movement multi basing gives!

Big Insect

For your regular formations I'd be tempted to go with 40mm frontage (4 men) by 15mm deep.
With some singles based on 10mm wide by 15mm deep bases for casualties - or to be replaced with individual skirmishing figures on round bases.

I hear what others have said about 10mm frontage being too fiddly and, true, there is a risk of that and 15mm by 15mm might work, but that then means your larger 4 man bases are 60mm wide and IMHO that makes them look too spaced apart as a regular firing rank.

Just my 3pence worth
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Westmarcher

18 March 2022, 10:52:30 AM #12 Last Edit: 30 March 2022, 12:31:27 PM by Leon
Like many (most?) people, when basing for skirmish games, I think of round bases (e.g., my 15mm ECW are arranged on round bases - 3, 2 or 1 figure per base). Although I have the Sharpe Practice rules, I've never played them. But I do play the Dan Mersey skirmish style rules (usually 6 or 12 fig strong units) and so, with no flanks, circular bases feel appropriate.

From the Mersey stable, I've played Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant, The Pikeman's Lament and Rebels & Patriots. In the latter, there is a formation called Close Order whereby figures are placed in a line in 2 ranks, a formation that seems to cry out for bases with straight edges.

My solution was therefore to go for Pill shaped bases (available from Warbases but Pendraken will cut them for you, also) which combine both round and straight edges in one base.

My Pendraken AWI units are partially based on 30mm x 20mm bases (each accommodating 3 figures). I also use 20mm circular bases, accommodating 1 or 2 figures and I'm also experimenting with 15mm circular bases for single figures (I've still to play a 10mm scale Rebels & Patriots game with my AWI figures but know that 20mm circular bases work with 15mm). Sorry, I don't do photographs but perhaps my good friend, Steve Holmes (or Leon), can post some pics of my figures for me, if you wish? I've also extended this approach to my skirmish artillery units which include 25mm x 20mm Pill bases and 20mm x 15mm Pill bases.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mmcv

QuoteI hear what others have said about 10mm frontage being too fiddly and, true, there is a risk of that and 15mm by 15mm might work, but that then means your larger 4 man bases are 60mm wide and IMHO that makes them look too spaced apart as a regular firing rank.

Just my 3pence worth
Yeah, I suspect you'd be right about the 15mm being a little too spaced out though might experiment with it and see, think I have some 15mm squares somewhere. The 12.5 I have there is probably about as wide as I'd go without it looking too gappy, though will need to stick some basing material on to see how it looks properly.

QuoteLike many (most?) people, when basing for skirmish games, I think of round bases (e.g., my 15mm ECW are arranged on round bases - 3, 2 or 1 figure per base). Although I have the Sharpe Practice rules, I've never played them. But I do play the Dan Mersey skirmish style rules (usually 6 or 12 fig strong units) and so, with no flanks, circular bases feel appropriate.

From the Mersey stable, I've played Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant, The Pikeman's Lament and Rebels & Patriots. In the latter, there is a formation called Close Order whereby figures are placed in a line in 2 ranks, a formation that seems to cry out for bases with straight edges.

My solution was therefore to go for Pill shaped bases (available from Warbases but Pendraken will cut them for you, also) which combine both round and straight edges in one base.

My Pendraken AWI units are partially based on 30mm x 20mm bases (each accommodating 3 figures). I also use 20mm x 20mm round bases, accommodating 1 or 2 figures and I'm also experimenting with 15mm x 15mm  for single figures (I've still to play a 10mm scale Rebels & Patriots game with my AWI figures but know that 20mm round bases work with 15mm). Sorry, I don't do photographs but perhaps my good friend, Steve Holmes, can post some pics of my figures for me, if you wish?
Yeah close order formations for me just don't look right with the round bases, particularly multifigure bases. Pictures are always welcome! I will probably expand them a bit to try out R&P at some point, but I wasn't overly enamoured with LR when I tried them out, so not sure how much I'll like them. Want to give them another shake though as it was just a test game or a few years ago.

Westmarcher

18 March 2022, 08:05:47 PM #14 Last Edit: 30 March 2022, 12:31:10 PM by Leon
QuoteYeah close order formations for me just don't look right with the round bases, particularly multifigure bases. Pictures are always welcome! I will probably expand them a bit to try out R&P at some point, but I wasn't overly enamoured with LR when I tried them out, so not sure how much I'll like them. Want to give them another shake though as it was just a test game or a few years ago.

Because I've never done this before, I don't know if this link will work. Anyway, here's a link (hopefully) to 10mm Wargaming & Terrain on Facebook with photos of my AWI collection primarily based for Rebels & Patriots.

AWI Photo Shoot

20220318_155712.jpg
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.