Cricket

Started by Raider4, 08 March 2022, 04:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Today's Daily Mirror: "Root: Let's put Ashes shambles behind us"

West Indies vs. England: England are 57-4 at lunch on the first day . . .

That went well then.

jimduncanuk

Are they still playing Root as well as the other Ashes failures?
My Ego forbids a signature.

Raider4

Aye, Root is still there as captain. Promoted himself to number 3, and was bowled for 13.

A couple of members of the selectors/management team have gone, and Anderson and Broad have been left behind.

Currently 93-4, so Bairstow and Stokes have dug in a bit. Be nice if they repeated their partnership of 399 vs. South Africa from a few years ago.

Steve J

jimduncanuk

Time for Root to go surely.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Gwydion

As captain or a player?
Test average of 49+
Who are you going to replace him with?

Raider4

QuoteAs captain or a player?

Captain. Not sure who'd replace him though. Stokes?

Gwydion

Good question. Got to be someone who's worth their place as a player.

I've heard some people say bring Broad in as a temporary fix to see what else is around but is there anyone outside the squad who could come in in 18 months say and be captain?

I'm guessing that only Stokes and Root get in the team guaranteed at the moment - so it should be one of them.

Root says he wants to carry on and Stokes says he doesn't want it.

But I think Stokes is the only viable option at present and Root might play better without the worry of captaincy.

Sean Clark

I think Stokes and Root are the only two who might stand a chance in any other test side. Winning 1 test in 17 has to be some kind of all time low for the national side.

Along with the fall out of the racism row in domestic cricket, the game is in a god awful state.
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Rhys

I don't thinkl Stokes is captain material at the moment. I'd go with Broad (why oh why did they not take him and Anderson to the West Indies?). Root has always struck me as an uninsopired captain frequently allowing the game to drift/get away from England (I'm a Kiwi BTW).

Now you really should all have been following the Womans ODI world cup. Its been a month of riveting cricket (with more than a few last over thrillers) with good performances even from the lesser teams.
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.