Painting Competition 2022!

Started by Leon, 26 January 2022, 02:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: Maraviglia on 01 February 2022, 01:18:48 PMso what if I only have something like Twitter or Instagram and I find the forum layout intimidating/baffling?

There'd be a couple of options:

- You could start a Flickr/Photobucket account and put your entries in that.
- You can shrink them down and add them as attachments to the post instead, but the max file size is only 126kb from memory.
- As a final option, you can email them to me and I'll find somewhere to host them here.  I'm almost out of storage on our Flickr account though so I'll need to find another option.

Sadly the hosting costs of posting images directly to the Forum are quite high!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mmcv

Imgur is a pretty easy way to upload them if you don't have them hosted elsewhere, I did a guide here: https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20026.0.html though it may be a little out of date. I think it's even easier now, you can just create an account on Imgur, add images from your phone, etc to a hidden post (so only people you link to it directly will see them) then copy and paste the images into the post window here and voila.

Don't need to do all the messing around with tags I had in the original post there anymore.

If you have it hosted elsewhere and you have an "image address" (URL) for an image you can add it via the Insert an image button (besides the YouTube one on the top bar of the post) but you might well be able to copy it from Twitter/Insta directly (right click or long press on the image usually does it though I don't have them so that might just like it instead?).

If you can copy an image directly in it should just work but failing that if you can get the URL and use the insert image button above it should just work.

mmcv

QuotePossibly a bit of a foolish question, but I'll ask it anyway.  I am sure that there will be some absolutely amazing entries, but is there any reason why us average (or worse) painters shouldn't put something in just for the fun of taking part?
Absolutely. I set myself a challenge of having an entry for every category last year which was good fun. Certainly not championship quality painting but entertaining and a good way to have a personal achievement and push myself a bit in my painting to try something new. Not sure I'm going to have the time to do it all again this year unfortunately but might see if I can cobble together a few entries.  :)

Leon

Direct links from Twitter might work?  It'll depend on their external linking system and whether the links remain intact.  I know that Facebook's image urls expire, so your image would only be visible for a week or so and then you'd have to go an reinstate the link with the new url.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maraviglia

Thanks for the answers. I've just tried adding a Twitter link and that seems to have worked so I'll wait and see if that lasts or if I need to come up with another plan!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

No worries, I've edited the image into that entry post so we'll see if the image remains in place.

Matt J

Like that Sci-fi entry  8) 10mm Cadians?
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Maraviglia

QuoteNo worries, I've edited the image into that entry post so we'll see if the image remains in place.

Ta very much. At least this way we all learn one way or another!

QuoteLike that Sci-fi entry  8) 10mm Cadians?

Possibly but honestly I was going more for an exaggerated colour scheme of the "Aliens" marines!

Titivillus

Question: can an entry in the "Army" category contain units that have been entered in the other categories? So, if I enter a figure in the "Single" category, can it also appear in my "Army" group shot?
2022 Painting Competition - Winner!

paulr

As that was your first post, Welcome Titivillus :-h

I have certainly done that in the past and no objection has been raised :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: Titivillus on 01 February 2022, 11:36:51 PMQuestion: can an entry in the "Army" category contain units that have been entered in the other categories? So, if I enter a figure in the "Single" category, can it also appear in my "Army" group shot?

Yep, as Paul says above that's completely fine.

Titivillus

Quote from: paulr on 02 February 2022, 01:26:05 AMAs that was your first post, Welcome Titivillus :-h

I have certainly done that in the past and no objection has been raised :)

Thanks Paul! And thank you to Leon for the "official" confirmation.
2022 Painting Competition - Winner!

Maraviglia

So... what category would a gaggle of geese come under? I'd guess the "other" category but they aren't a single base.

Leon

You could try then in the Infantry category I suppose!  If they're close together and within the dimensions for the Open - Single Base, then pop them in there.

Maraviglia

Quote from: Leon on 07 February 2022, 06:57:52 PMYou could try then in the Infantry category I suppose!  If they're close together and within the dimensions for the Open - Single Base, then pop them in there.

They are but 20th century or pre 20th century? I haven't checked their birth certificates...