Painting Competition 2022!

Started by Leon, 26 January 2022, 02:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

26 January 2022, 02:13:09 PM Last Edit: 26 January 2022, 02:20:55 PM by Leon

It's time for the Pendraken Painting Competition 2022!

With Covid still ongoing let's have something positive to focus on for a few weeks, so grab your brushes, dig out anything you've painted over the past 12 months and get those entries in.  The 2022 Painting Competition will open to entries on February 1st and will be running all the way through until the end of the month.  As always, this is a great opportunity to show what can be done in 10mm scale so we can't wait to see the entries.

Closing date for the competition will be midnight on Monday 28th February and we'll then open up the voting threads for everyone to decide our winners.

The categories will be the same as usual:

Categories:

Foot - Pre-20th C. - Max: 40 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Foot - 20th C. - Max: 40 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Mounted - Max: 20 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Vehicle - Max: 3 vehicles on or off bases, including wagons and chariots.
Fantasy & Sci-Fi - Max: 40 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Open - Single Base - Anything which doesn't fit into the other categories, with a max base size of 100x100mm.  This could be a command base, a single figure, artillery base, etc.
Open - Army - Anything which is larger than the maximums in the other categories, so multiple units or a whole army.

If you're unsure which category to put your entry in, let us know what it is, and we'll point you in the right direction!

Rules  - Please Read!

- Firstly, all figures must be Pendraken.  Conversions are allowed, but only on our figures.

1. You must be a Forum member to enter, but other than that, everyone is welcome!  The Forum registration is open again now, so head over and register!

2. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry is only allowed 2 images (except for the 'Army!' category, see below).  We do not allow montage images anymore, just to keep a level playing field.  You can however edit your two images into a single file for the sake of uploading/hosting them.  The best way to add your images is through a separate photo hosting site, or a blog, but if you have any difficulty posting pics then let us know and we'll help you out.

3. The 'Open - Army!' category may have 5 photo's, as it's difficult to cover a whole army with just a single photo!

4. All entries must be your own work, and have not been entered into any online competitions before.

5. Entries should have been completed in the last 12 months, so we hope you've all been busy!

6. You can post WIP (work-in-progress) photos if you wish, but please create a new thread for these.  You can also post extra photos of your work elsewhere on the Forum.  These will not count towards your competition entry.

7. The winners will be decided by the Forum members, so once the closing deadline has passed, we'll put up a poll thread for each category where our members can vote on who they want to win.  The polls will close 7 days later and the winners will be announced.

8. Competition threads will be created on the opening date, purely for your entries.

9. Pendraken may use your pics in future promo/marketing, catalogue covers or web pics.  Entering gives your permission for your pics to be used.

And now the good bit, the prizes!  With everything on one website now we've decided to up the ante a bit and increase the prizes all around, giving over £500 of prizes available!  The winners and runners-up in each category will receive the following:

- The Winner of each category will receive £50 worth of Pendraken credit!
- The Runner-Up of each category will receive £25 worth of Pendraken credit!

Credit will be applied in the form of Loyalty Points added to your Pendraken website accounts, so you can spend it as you wish on any of the 6000 products we've got available.

So:

Competition opens - February 1st!
Closing deadline - Midnight, February 28th!

As always, if there's any questions just let us know!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Ah, time to think about what I might be able to paint and submit this year! The prizes are very nice too, thankyou :) .

Will the Raiden aircraft count, or only the Pendraken aircraft? I was just wondering as you retail them.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 26 January 2022, 03:36:12 PMArgh!
What to do!  :'(

Hah! I know you, at the speed you paint you've time to paint entries for all the categories .... twice over!

At the speed I paint I'll be lucky to have undercoated a dozen figures in the same time. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

steve_holmes_11

Fantastic, a timely incentive to take a few snaps of my growing hordes.

paulr

Thanks Leon, I'll have to work out what I've painted in the last year :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Some good prizes - nice to keep it simple and Pendraken themed. 

Like Paul, I'll have to work out what I've actually painted in the last year - always takes a bit of sorting out. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: paulr on 26 January 2022, 07:24:14 PMThanks Leon, I'll have to work out what I've painted in the last year :-\
5580 figures!!!
Why do you think I always do fresh figures for the comp!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Vincenzo21

Thanks Leon, my package just arrived and now getting stuck into them.

Leon

Quote from: Steve J on 26 January 2022, 03:10:50 PMWill the Raiden aircraft count, or only the Pendraken aircraft? I was just wondering as you retail them.

Afraid not on the Raiden aircraft, only Pendraken 10mm products for the competition.  I've been trying to work out whether we could expand to include things like planes, or our 28mm ranges, but I'm not sure how much uptake there'd be to warrant another set of prizes?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

That's what I thought Leon, so thanks for clarifying :) .

steve_holmes_11

Do Elephants belong in the mounted, or other class?

How about camels?

KeithS

Possibly a bit of a foolish question, but I'll ask it anyway.  I am sure that there will be some absolutely amazing entries, but is there any reason why us average (or worse) painters shouldn't put something in just for the fun of taking part?
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

fred.

28 January 2022, 05:49:40 PM #13 Last Edit: 28 January 2022, 05:52:12 PM by fred.
QuoteAfraid not on the Raiden aircraft, only Pendraken 10mm products for the competition.  I've been trying to work out whether we could expand to include things like planes, or our 28mm ranges, but I'm not sure how much uptake there'd be to warrant another set of prizes?
You could just allow them in the Other category, rather than having to create more categories?

QuotePossibly a bit of a foolish question, but I'll ask it anyway.  I am sure that there will be some absolutely amazing entries, but is there any reason why us average (or worse) painters shouldn't put something in just for the fun of taking part?
Absolutely - the standard has definitely increased over the years, but there has always been a strong element of participation, and the hope of attracting a few votes!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 28 January 2022, 05:04:54 PMDo Elephants belong in the mounted, or other class?

How about camels?

Both of those would go in the mounted category. 

Quote from: KeithS on 28 January 2022, 05:39:10 PMPossibly a bit of a foolish question, but I'll ask it anyway.  I am sure that there will be some absolutely amazing entries, but is there any reason why us average (or worse) painters shouldn't put something in just for the fun of taking part?

As fred says, it's just nice to see so many people getting involved.  And with it being a public vote there's always a chance for anyone, different folks like different things!

Quote from: fred. on 28 January 2022, 05:49:40 PMYou could just allow them in the Other category, rather than having to create more categories?
Absolutely - the standard has definitely increased over the years, but there has always been a strong element of participation, and the hope of attracting a few votes!

Potentially but then we get the problem of different scales and whether a 10mm entry can compete with a 28mm one?  Would a 6mm aircraft diorama do well vs a 10mm command stand?